Public Hearing for Zoning Bylaw Amendment Bylaw
Notice is hereby given that all persons who deem their interest in property affected by the following bylaw will be afforded a reasonable opportunity to be heard or to present written submissions to Oak Bay Municipal Council on the matters contained therein at a Public Hearing to be held at the Oak Bay Municipal Hall, 2167 Oak Bay Avenue, Victoria, BC, at 7:30 pm on Monday, June 22, 2015.
Bylaw No. 4648, Ninety-Fourth Zoning Bylaw Amendment Bylaw, 2015 will amend the Zoning Bylaw to reflect the recommendations brought forward through the Floor Area Review process. Proposed changes will affect properties zoned One Family Residential Use RS-4 and RS-5, but also include general amendments affecting properties in other zones.
The Bylaw provides for the following:
- Amends definitions for Basement, Building, Building Height, Grade, Gross Floor Area, Lot Coverage, Occupiable Height, Roof Height, and Structure to provide greater clarification and reflect changes affecting lot coverage and floor area calculations for buildings and structures.
- Includes exemptions for eaves and cladding, for the purposes of extending into yard setbacks.
- Increases the gross floor area exemption for garages and carports from 19 m2 to 22 m2 where siting conditions are met.
- Includes gross floor area exemptions for basements, as determined by first storey floor height, for principal buildings receiving occupancy certificates prior to, and after January 1, 1986.
- Establishes gross floor area exemptions for covered door landings and verandas.
- Establishes gross floor area calculations for atriums.
- For the RS-4 and RS‑5 zones, establishes a new single storey home designation, with the applicable height regulations for this designation set out in Schedule B of the Zoning Bylaw.
- For the RS-4 and RS-5 zones, increases lot coverage to 30% for all buildings and structures, or 35% for single storey homes, and sets the floor area ratio at 0.4.
- For the RS-4 and RS-5 zones, amends the rear lot line setback for principal buildings to be the greater of 7.62 metres and 25% of the lot depth.
Click here to view a copy of the above-described bylaw. Hard copies of the bylaw and all other background material that has been considered by Council may be inspected prior to the Public Hearing between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday, up to June 22, 2015, at the office of the Municipal Clerk, Oak Bay Municipal Hall, 2167 Oak Bay Avenue, Victoria, BC.