Tax Deferment Programs
Property Tax Deferment Programs
Phone: 250-387-0555 or toll free at 1-888-355-2700
Regular Property Tax Deferment Program
The BC Property Tax Deferment Program allows property owners to defer payment of annual property taxes if owners are:
- 55 years or older or,
- a surviving spouse or,
- a disabled person as defined in the Disability Benefits Program Act,
and if owners are:
- Canadian citizens or landed immigrants who have lived in BC for at least one year immediately prior to applying for tax deferment benefits.
Families with Children Property Tax Deferment Program
The families with Children Property Tax Deferment Program is a loan program available to assist families. This program allows you to defer the annual property taxes on your home if you meet certain criteria. Same qualifications as the regular program with respect to Canadian citizen or permanent resident:
- you are financially supporting, at the time of application, a dependent child who is under the age of 18 at any time in the calendar year in which you apply, and who
- lives with you full time in your home
- lives with you at least part time under a shared custody arrangement, or
- does not live with you, but you pay support for the child, or are responsible for fees, and /or living cost if they are attending school.
For more information, please visit the Ministry of Finance and Corporate Relations website.