Business Licences

Oak Bay requires every person carrying on, maintaining, owning or operating within the Municpality any profession, business, trade or occupation, to hold a valid business licence. The Business Licence must be visibly displayed on the premises. Licences are valid from January 1 to December 31. The licence fee is reduced if the licence is for only part of the year.

Paying your Business Licence

Business Licences (new and renewal) may be paid by cash, cheque or bank debit card at the Municipal Hall, or you can also pay your Business Licence renewal online by credit card and the licence will be mailed to you. Applications made after June 30th are pro-rated. Licence fees are not refundable or transferable.

Business Licence Requirements

Fill out a Business Licence Application Form. Applications are also available at the Municipal Hall.

The processing time of an application depends on completeness of the application when received and the need for any approvals from other departments or other regulatory authorities such as the Vancouver Island Health Authority. The fee for a business licence varies depending on the type of business or businesses being conducted. Your completed new licence application can be mailed or emailed to:

Oak Bay Municipal Hall
2167 Oak Bay Avenue
Victoria BC, V8R 1G2


Other Licences

Depending on the type of business you are operating in Oak Bay, you may require other permits or licences that are not regulated by the Municipality. Examples include liquor licences and health licences. It is important to be aware of these requirements as they are in place to protect the safety and health of you, your customers and the general public.

  • If your business is not registered, visit the OneStop Business Registry website to have your name and company registered in BC.
  • Also, visit B.C.'s BizPaL page which simplifies the business licence and other compliance regulation process for entrepreneurs, governments, and third party business service providers.

For questions pertaining to Business Licences please contact the Business Licence Department at


Television and Film Industry

The Film Industry Coordinator for the District of Oak Bay is the Manager, Recreation Program Services, who is responsible for reviewing film permit applications and issuing film permits. Contact the Parks & Recreation Department at 250-370-7121.  


* NOTE: This is a fillable form - you must have Adobe Reader to fill it out. Save locally to your computer, fill out the form and then click 'SUBMIT' on the form to email.
The above form can also be printed and filled out manually, or can also be picked up at Municipal Hall.

Vancouver Island South Film & Media Commission is a not-for-profit organization that markets and promotes the locations, skills and creativity inherent in Victoria and Vancouver Island to the global film industry.