The District of Oak Bay welcomes special events using public spaces that benefit our community. Proposed special events generally require community social and economic benefits that are well organized and appropriately supported from the planning stages through to leaving the site in the same condition it was found prior to use. Please remember to include both a start and end time for your request, as well as set up and clean up time.
How to Submit Your Application
Please refer to the chart below to see both required deadlines as well as submission requirements for Block Party Applications as well as other Special Events held within the District of Oak Bay (for further information on Special Event Requirements please visit our detailed Special Events page here).
Please remember that only complete applications can begin the approval process. Block Party Season is a much anticipated, very exciting and busy time, as such please be sure to give yourself adequate time to both submit your application and ensure that you can meet the required 30 day notification requirement to your fellow neighbours. Requests for all Block Parties, both for new and repeat annual applications, need to be submitted 6 weeks in advance of the required approval date, this allows for the block party to undergo the approval process and to ensure that no other event, or activity will interfere with the festivities ahead.
Please submit all complete Block Party Applications, including the required map and/or sketch of road closure directly to the Administration Secretary, Victoria McKean.
Submissions can be made electronically by Email: to email@example.com,
By Fax: to 250-598-9108 Attn: Administration Secretary,
In Person: to the Administration Secretary at the Municipal Hall, located at 2167 Oak Bay Avenue,
Or By Mail: to the District of Oak Bay
ATTN: Administration Secretary
2167 Oak Bay Avenue
Victoria BC, V8R 1G2
Should you have any questions pertaining to submission requirements, deadlines, or the Block Party and Special Events Process please contact the Administration Secretary directly at 250-598-3311 extension 7411 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overview of Application Process
The following information corresponds to the Block Party Application form and is intended as a guideline to assist you in having your event application considered.
The application process begins with you submitting to the District of Oak Bay a completed Application form. Please keep in mind that acceptance of your application should in no way be construed as final approval or confirmation of your request. The person signing the application form, who is acting as the Block Party Liaison, is responsible for insuring that all conditions in the agreement are met.
|Block Party||6 weeks – Prior to required approval date||Sketch/map of requested closure to be submitted at time of application|
|8 weeks - Prior to required approval date||Sketch/map of event site and proposed resident notification (if applicable, i.e. parking lot closures) to be submitted at time of application|
|12 weeks – Prior to required approval date||Sketch/map of event site/route, and Traffic Control Safety Plan (if applicable) to be submitted with application|
|12 weeks – Prior to required approval date||Sketch/map of event site/route, proposed resident notification and Traffic Control Safety Plan to be submitted with application|
Once the Block Party application has been received copies are distributed and reviewed by all affected municipal departments.
The application must include:
- brief description of your Block Party, including whether the event will be a fundraiser for a not-for-profit charity; and
- organizer contact information, this person is designated as the Block Party Liaison, the person signing the application form is responsible for insuring that all conditions in the agreement are met; and
- contact information of on-site (Event Day) contact person;
- block party details such as exact locations of closures, date and time(s) (include setup/cleanup); and
- clearly presented site plan and/or sketch of the road closure and the block party site; and
- anticipated number of participants and spectators; and
- notification plan for residents and businesses that abut to the immediate closure; and
- listing of requested municipal resources at time of application i.e. police or fire party day visit, request for use of traffic cones, etc. The Municipality may not be able to accommodate all requests for service or assistance, sufficient notice will always be provided. However, please be aware that barricades to facilitate the closure of the requested roadways are included with the approval of the Block Party, and will be delivered to the home of the Block Party Liaison (or on-site contact) in advance of the closure date.
General Conditions and Limitations for Approval
- The Block Party Liaison shall not use the site or route for any other purpose than that stated in the agreement with the District of Oak Bay.
- The Block Party Liaison is responsible for insuring the permitted area is appropriate for the activity.
- The Block Party Liaison is responsible for returning the site and/or any municipal equipment to its original clean, litter-free (removing all litter from site) condition following the event.
- The Block Party Liaison shall be liable for any damage done to the site or route or municipal equipment during the event.
- The Block Party Liaison may be billed for any subsequent cost incurred by the Municipality.
- Nothing can be fastened to, hung from or placed in trees, planters or other municipal property without specific permission, including posters advertising the event.
- As applicable, additional conditions may be required to be met.
- The sale of goods and refreshments may not be done on Municipal owned property including sidewalk, boulevard, and roadway.
- The collection of an admission fee, must be pre-approved with profits to a charitable organization.
- The operation of a concession, must be pre-approved, with sales of goods to occur not on Municipal owned property including sidewalk, boulevard and roadway.
- The operation of a public address system, must be pre-approved.
- The operation of amplified music must be done in consideration of surrounding neighbours and in compliance with the Anti-Noise Bylaw.
- The dispensing, sale/purchase, or consumption of alcohol for any and all Block Party applications are NOT PERMITTED on Municipal owned property including sidewalk, boulevard and roadway.
- The erection of: Structures, Fences, Poles, Tents, Stages, Bleachers, Portable toilets, pre-approval required.
- Air Inflatable Play Devices for any and all Block Party Applications, are NOT PERMITTED on Municipal owned property including sidewalk, boulevard and roadway.
*Special regulations may apply for the above. Please provide details on the application form.
Designated Block Party On-Site Contact
Organizers must designate a named on-site contact person with authority to ensure compliance with agreement and to make decisions on behalf of the for Block Party Liaison the duration of the event including the clean up and set up time. Contact information for the on-site contact must be provided in the application and they must be available via cell phone at all times during the event. It is required that the agreement with the District of Oak Bay be on-site, available and presented upon request.
The District of Oak Bay retains the right to cancel the event up to and including the day of the event, or at any time during the event in an emergency or if the applicant does not adhere to this or any other related permit conditions, or if the Chief Constable or his designate apprehends that the Event is creating an undue nuisance or a hazard to the safety of any person or the public at large. Permits and Permissions will be revoked without payment of any compensation in the event of a breach of any laws, by-laws, or conditions set up herein or in force. Non-compliance may result in additional charges.