Building Bylaws

The Oak Bay Building and Planning Department is responsible for the administration of Oak Bay bylaws pertaining to the construction of buildings, structures, fences and monitoring compliance for health and safety. All construction work of a structural nature or with a value of $500 or more, requires a building permit. For permit forms, see Building Permits.

Forms and Publications

Building Bylaws

The Building Bylaws regulate the construction, alteration, repair, demolition or moving of buildings and pools and the installation, alteration or repair of plumbing, sprinkler and heating and gas systems.

  • Except where the value of the project does not exceed $500.00 and the work does not involve health and safety aspects, a permit is required whenever work regulated under this Bylaw is undertaken. (Building and Plumbing Bylaw))
  • “5 (1) No person shall commence or continue any construction, alteration, repair, reconstruction, demolition, deconstruction, removal or relocation or change the occupancy of any building or structure, including excavation or other work related to construction, unless a building official has issued a permit for the work.” 

Below is information on various aspects of building on a property.

Zoning Bylaw

When building on a property, the Zoning Bylaw must be considered. It regulates the use of land, buildings and structures specific to the area. First, the current zoning designation of the property must be obtained, as that governs the permissable uses of the property. Detailed information about what can be built on the property, and regulations, are specified in the Bylaw.  Due to the highly complex and legal nature of the information in the Bylaw, interpretation can be difficult, especially for those unfamiliar with zoning-related information. To ensure  correct interpretation is obtained, please visit the Municipal Hall and review with the Director of Building and Planning.

Official Community Plan

View the Oak Bay Official Community Plan

Legal Lot Documents

Legal lot plans, legal documents attached to the title of a property and property encumbrances such as rights of way and easements may be viewed at the Municipal Hall Building counter.  To obtain a copy of these plans, contact:

Land Title Office - Victoria Land Title District
Suite 110 - 1321 Blanshard Street, Victoria, B.C. V8W 9J3
General Inquiries: 1-877-577-LTSA (5872)