Reducing single-use plastic bags in Oak Bay
It’s time to ditch single-use plastic bags in Oak Bay!
The District of Oak Bay is reminding the public and businesses that single-use plastic bags are to be phased out as we inch closer to the Checkout Bag Regulation Bylaw coming into effect November 24, 2022.
The purpose of these regulations is to: reduce the amount of plastic litter and waste in the community; support local businesses in reducing their use of single-use plastics; and improve consistency in the region (Victoria, Saanich, and Esquimalt have already adopted similar requirements)
View the Checkout Bag Regulation Bylaw
Resources for businesses
- Letter to businesses - Reducing Single-Use Plastics in Oak Bay - June 2022
- Staff report: Single-Use Plastics: Current Situation and Options Analysis - May 17, 2021
- Letter of invitation - Single-Use Plastics Survey for Oak Bay businesses - September 7, 2021
- Single-use plastics business survey - September 2021
- Staff report: Single-Use Plastics - Business Survey Results and Situational Update, Version 2 - January 17, 2022
- Follow-up letter to Oak Bay businesses regarding Single-Use Plastics Survey - January 28, 2022
- Notice of Intent to Adopt Checkout Bag Regulation Bylaw No. 4806, 2022 - April 11, 2022
- Staff report: Checkout Bag Regulation Bylaw - April 25, 2022