Engineering & Public Works
Engineering and Public Works is responsible for planning, implementing and operating the systems of high-quality water for consumption and fire fighting. The Department disposes of sanitary waste, and operates drainage and transportation facilities including roads, sidewalks, street lighting, traffic signal systems, and the corporate fleet. The Department also coordinates the Capital Works program for new streets and transportation systems, drainage, water and sewer systems, and maintains record drawings and high quality maps of the District.
Engineering and Public Works is responsible for solid waste collection from single family properties, coordinating the biweekly curbside pickup of garbage and recyclable materials and operating the drop-off depot located at the Public Works Yard, 1771 Elgin Road.
NEW *** COVID-19 Levels of Servce Update ***
On March 16, 2020, the District’s facilities were closed to the public as part of the provincial response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Engineering and Public Works staff have put measures in place in order to continue providing municipal services. Though we are not seeing customers directly at Municipal Hall or at the Public Works yard, we can still be reached to address calls for service, answer questions and deliver on requests for municipal service connections. Please be advised that our response time may be longer than usual during this time. Payments for municipal services connections and street occupancy permits can be done either by cheque or by phone with a credit card. For inquiries related to Engineering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-598-3311. For inquiries related specifically to Public Works, please call 250-598-4501.
All Engineering and Public Works services remain accessible, with the following exceptions:
- Oak Bay's drop off depot is still operating, though customers should expect lines that appear longer than usual, as we have imposed a restriction of how many vehicles can enter the yard at one time (2-3 vehicles) in order to facilitate social distancing practices. Please remember that the drop off depot is available for Oak Bay residents only; residents are required to show a valid decal or proof of residency (ie. ICBC vehicle registration).
- At this time, we are not able to support sales of garbage tickets, compost bags, totes, compost or fill dumps.
Ongoing Project Update Pages:
- Uplands Sewer Separation Project
- Heron Street Water Main/Storm Sewer Main Rehabilitation
- Cadboro Bay Road and Bowker Avenue - Intersection Upgrade and Underground Works (Abstract Developments)
- Intersection Upgrade: Foul Bay Road and Oak Bay Avenue
Frequently Asked Questions
Engineering - Oak Bay Municipal Hall
2167 Oak Bay Avenue
Victoria BC, V8R 1G2
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Director of Engineering Services - Daniel Horan
1771 Elgin Road
Victoria BC, V8R 5L7
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Superintendent of Public Works - David Brozuk
Operations Manager, Public Works - Terry Johnson