Engineering & Public Works
Engineering and Public Works is responsible for developing and renewing Oak Bay's infrastructure and utilities in sustainable ways to meet the community's needs. The department is responsible for water distribution, wastewater collection, solid waste collection, and the transportation network (including sidewalks, active transportation, street lights and traffic signals). This includes daily operations and maintenance, as well as planning and delivering on the capital works program to meet new infrastructure needs and to rehabilitate existing infrastructure.
NEW *** COVID-19 Levels of Servce Update ***
On March 16, 2020, the District’s facilities were closed to the public as part of the provincial response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Engineering and Public Works staff have put measures in place in order to continue providing municipal services. In response to COVID-19 and space challenges in our offices, we ask that you please contact us to book an appointment if you need to come into Municipal Hall. We can still be reached to address calls for service, answer questions and deliver on requests for municipal service connections. Please be advised that our response time may be longer than usual during this time. Payments for municipal services connections and street occupancy permits can be done either by cheque or by phone with a credit card. For inquiries related to Engineering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-598-3311. For inquiries related specifically to Public Works, please call 250-598-4501.
All Engineering and Public Works services remain accessible, with the following exceptions:
- Oak Bay's drop off depot is still operating, though customers should expect lines that appear longer than usual, as we have imposed a restriction of how many vehicles can enter the yard at one time (2-3 vehicles) in order to facilitate social distancing practices. Please remember that the drop off depot is available for Oak Bay residents only; residents are required to show a valid decal or proof of residency (ie. ICBC vehicle registration)
Ongoing Project Update Pages:
- Municipal Hall Renovation
- Uplands Sewer Separation Project
- 2020 Paving Program
- Bowker Avenue Paving & Concrete Rehabilitation
- Cadboro Bay Road and Bowker Avenue - Intersection Upgrade and Underground Works (Abstract Developments)
- Kings Road Storm Drain Project
- Oak Bay Avenue - Tree Removal, Planting and Sidewalk Tripping Hazard Remediation
- Burdick Avenue Water Main Rehabilitation
Frequently Asked Questions
Engineering - Oak Bay Municipal Hall
2167 Oak Bay Avenue
Victoria BC, V8R 1G2
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Director of Engineering and Public Works - Daniel Horan
1771 Elgin Road
Victoria BC, V8R 5L7
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Superintendent of Public Works - David Brozuk
Operations Manager, Public Works - Terry Johnson