Looking to play Racquet Sport (Tennis, Pickleball, Badminton or Table Tennis) in Oak Bay? Adult and children lessons as well as personal indoor and outdoor courts are available now.
Download the Tennis COVID-19 Safety Handbook.
- Lessons have a maximum of 4 players per court.
- Updated Oct 9, 2020: Approved by Island Health Authority: Players are now permitted to touch the tennis balls as long as they sanitize their hands upon entering and exiting the tennis playing area. During the lesson, coaches will ask players to sanitize their hands again if it is noticed that the player’s hands contacted their face.
- Please wait for your lesson outside of the court area, maintaining appropriate physical distancing from others. The coach will meet you outside and bring you to the court.
- All lessons will end 7 minutes early to allow for the class transition and cleaning.
- All indoor court bookings have a 15 minute transition period to allow for the transition and cleaning between rental groups.
Recreation Centres where Court Bookings are available to book:
All Indoor and Outdoor racquet court bookings are now available and can be booked up to four days in advance (to the hour).
Oak Bay Recreation Centre:
- Outdoor Tennis Courts 1-7
Henderson Recreation Centre:
- Outdoor Tennis Courts 1-6
- Badminton Courts 1-4
- Pickleball Courts 1-4
- Tabe Tennis Tables 1-12
- Outdoor Pickleball Courts A, B, C, and D
- Outdoor Tennis Court 3/ Multi-Use Court 4 and 5
- Outdoor Tennis Courts 1, 2, and 3
How to Book Indoor/Outdoor Tennis Racquet Courts at Oak Bay Recreation:
- Reserve up to 4 days in advance (to the hour).
For example: To book a court on the Thursday you can book Sunday at your time you want to play on Thursday.
- Book online or by phone: 250-598-2665.
Sports Rent-A-COURT - $14.30/hour at Henderson Gym and Monterey Middle School
Steps to Register Online for Indoor/Outdoor Racquet Sport Court Rentals
Court bookings will open up 4 days in advance (to the hour).
1. Ensure your Oak Bay online account and login is set up and your birthdate is accurate. If you do not have account you will need to set–up one by calling reception at 250–595–7201
2. Login with username and password at: oakbayrec.perfectmind.com
3. Under the Facilities menu select type of court rental.
4. Search for availability or scroll through the list, locate court of choice and select Choose to view availability.
5. Select time of choice on the grid.
6. Review the summary at the bottom of the page and click Register.
7. Select booker (this will default to the primary contact on your account) click Next.
8. Answer questionnaire listing the names of all individuals that will be playing on this court booking and click Next.
9. Review booking and click Checkout to choose payment method or Add another reservation if you would like to book another court. (If your booking is incorrect click Modify booking to amend).
10. Select payment method and click Place My Order to complete the reservation.
11. Select Print Receipt or Print Contract to have the option to print or email documents. This is your record for who you played with, please save for a 1 month period.
NOTE: Payment is required. You may cancel your session up to four hours in advance. If you feel symptoms of COVID-19 please stay home, we will be happy to issue you a refund. Ten years old and up are welcome to participate in the court rentals, however one adult 19 years or above must be present and playing. A maximum of four players per court booking for pickleball and badminton and two players for table tennis.
Indoor/Outdoor Racquet Sports Courts COVID-19 Guidelines for Use
The health and safety of our public and staff is a top priority. It is everyone’s responsibility to help prevent the potential spread of COVID-19.
The following protocols will support our efforts to maintain a safe environment for Racquet Sports:
- Do not use the courts if you are sick.
- Stay home if you have traveled in the past 14 days OR if someone in your household is sick.
- Keep 2 metres apart from each other at all times.
- INDOOR: Play only with people you know well and, preferably, with a limited, small group (max 4 people for Badminton and Pickleball, 2 people for Table Tennis).
- OUTDOOR: Play only with people you know well and, preferably, with a limited, small group (max 6 people).
- Do not loiter in the parking lot before or after your game.
- Please do not arrive more than 5 minutes before your scheduled rental.
- Patrons are encouraged to bring their own hand sanitizer for use before, during and after their match. Hand sanitizer will be available when entering the facility.
- You as the booker will check in with reception upon arrival. Please maintain physical distance from others while waiting to go in the gymnasium.
- All players’ names must be provided at the time of court reservation. It is the patron’s responsibility to ensure that all names are provided accurately when booking a courts and to retain these names for 30 days after the booking for contact tracing.
- Recreation Oak Bay staff will periodically monitor the indoor courts to ensure players are practicing social distancing during the court booking times.
On the Court and During Play
- When possible, no physical contact between players, the net/table or another player’s equipment.
- According to the update for VIASport, on the “field of play,” or the court, physical distancing may be broken however physical contact is discouraged as best as possible
- Benches are not available. Individual chairs will be provided, spaced out in the gym.
- Players do not change ends during a match.
- Doubles allowed with strict awareness and monitoring of the 2-metre/6-foot rule for physical distancing.
People not adhering to this protocol risk the closure of the facilities and will be asked to leave the premises.
Oak Bay Parks, Recreation and Culture follows the direction of the public health authorities. Contact Tennis and Pickleball Supervisor if any issues arise: 250-370-7109 or for Badminton and Table Tennis please contact the Community Recreation Programmer 250-370-7204.
Recreation Oak Bay Tennis Pathway
Download Tennis Pathway [PDF - 98 KB]