Looking to play a racquet sport (tennis, pickleball, badminton or table tennis) in Oak Bay?
Court rentals and programs are offered year-round, with the facilities open seven days a week. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned player, programs for children to adults include group and private lessons, drop-ins, socials, and tournament play.
Outdoor Tennis courts playing times:
Carnarvon Park: 9:00am–dusk
Windsor Park : 9:00am–dusk
NOTICE TO TENNIS PLAYERS
Update Regarding Heating in the 3-Court Bubble
November 4, 2022
Thank you for your ongoing patience. I want to ensure you that the District of Oak Bay Parks, Recreation and Culture values our tennis community and recognizes the many physical, social and community benefits to its participants. We are proud to offer quality tennis facilities for your use. I sincerely apologize for the ongoing heat issues, but I feel it is important to state that this issue has not been ignored nor dismissed.
We have been grappling with heating issues in the 3-court bubble for several years as it is a complicated project. Firstly, the pandemic created a great deal of financial and operational uncertainty, and many capital projects were put on hold. In fact, we are still in the process of returning to pre-pandemic levels of operations and are ramping up our capital project program to address a backlog of facility needs. During this timeframe, we investigated and tried several solutions to provide heat to this bubble.
The original mechanism for producing heat in the 3-court bubble utilized a tunnel between the two bubbles to transfer heat but it failed and caused considerable moisture issues in the 3-court bubble. The first and most cost-effective solution was to repair that existing system, however, this proved to be ineffective.
We then engaged mechanical engineering consultants to develop a new, energy efficient system to heat the 3-court bubble. This plan was then presented to Council during the 2022 budget deliberations and was approved in May 2022. Since then, we have worked diligently with these engineering consultants to develop the full specifications and drawings for the project. The project is now out to tender for installation on BC Bid. The tender process generally takes 4-6 weeks, and we are hopeful of project completion in March/April 2023.
We realize the timeline will be disappointing to our tennis community this Winter, but this should mark our last season of a cooler than normal 3-court bubble. We will continue to pursue temporary solutions to stabilize the temperatures in this bubble while the project for permanent heat moves forward.
Please also recognize that the staffing shortages in maintenance and the construction industry in general have made the completion of all building projects challenging. I am proud of our maintenance team for their work this past summer. While coping with operational staffing shortages, they have also managed the completion of two major, necessary projects – replacement of the roof at the Oak Bay Recreation Centre and an upgrade of our arena ice plant. The latter project will create a safer environment for all patrons and staff as we have dramatically reduced the volume of ammonia used to make ice. During this same time, staff have also worked with consultants to complete the design specifications for the 3-court heating project.
If you wish to discuss this further, please contact me directly to arrange a meeting and/or to speak by phone: firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-370-7102.
Director Parks, Recreation and Culture, District of Oak Bay
All instructors are certified Tennis Canada Instructor or higher.
Kids Pathway: Ball color is dependent on age (age the child turns in the calendar), while the levels (Level 1 or Level 2) are determined by skill. Level 1 focuses on racquet fundamentals, along with activities that build tennis-specific coordination. Level 2 focuses on the tactics of tennis while refining the rally, serve and net-play skills. A fun tournament offered at the end of lesson sets will be used to assess each player’s fit for the next level.
Download Tennis Pathway (pdf)
- September 1, 2020 – April 30, 2021:
$60.50/hr (Multiple lessons) - $72/hr (Single lesson)
- May 1, 2021 – August 31, 2021:
$45.50/hr (Multiple lessons) - $54.25/hr (Single lesson)
Play a Coach:
September 1, 2021– April 30, 2022.
Guidelines for Rent-A-Court
1) Call 250-370-7200 or book online.
2) Reserve four days in advance, to the hour.
- Two to four players maximum per court booking, depending on the Provincial Health Order.
- No changing courts during the rental period to allow for proper physical distancing.
Steps to Register Online
Court bookings will open up four days in advance (to the hour).
- Ensure your Oak Bay online account and login is set up and your birth date is accurate. If you do not have an account, you will need to set one up by calling Reception at 250–370–7200.
- Login with username and password at: oakbayrec.perfectmind.com
- Under the Facilities menu select type of court rental.
- Search for availability or scroll through the list, locate court of choice and select Choose to view availability.
- Select time of choice on the grid.
- Review the summary at the bottom of the page and click Register.
- Select booker (this will default to the primary contact on your account) and click Next.
- Answer questionnaire listing the names of all individuals that will be playing on this court booking and click Next.
- Review booking and click Checkout to choose payment method or Add another reservation if you would like to book another court. (If your booking is incorrect click Modify Booking to amend).
- Select payment method and click Place My Order to complete the reservation.
- Select Print Receipt or Print Contract to have the option to print or email documents. This is your record of who you played with, please save for a one month period.
NOTE: Payment is required. You may cancel your session up to four hours in advance. Ten years old and up are welcome to participate in the court rentals, however one adult 19 years or above must be present and playing. A maximum of four players per court booking for pickleball and badminton. A maximum of two players per court for table tennis.
Indoor Tennis at Oak Bay Recreation Centre
September 1, 2021 – April 30, 2022 - Prime Time $32.00, Non Prime Time $16
May 1, 2022 – August 31, 2022 1 hour $16.00
Indoor at Henderson Gym:
September 1, 2020 – August 31, 2021 1 hour $14.60
Outdoor (all locations):
(April 1, 2022 – March 31, 2023)
Daylight 1 hour $9.50
Lighted Play 1 hour $12.50
- Reserve up to four days in advance (to the hour). For example: To book a court on the Thursday, you can book on Sunday at the time that you want to play on Thursday.
Book online or by phone: 250-598-2665 (Oak Bay Recreation Indoor Tennis Courts) or 250-370-7200 (Henderson Recreation Centre Indoor and Outdoor Courts).
Steps to Register Online
To book follow the directions below or download the detailed instructions on How to Book.
Ensure that your Oak Bay online account and login is set up and your birthdate is accurate. If you do not have an account, you will need to set one up by calling Reception at 250-595-7946.
Log in with username and password at oakbayrec.perfectmind.com
Under the Facilities menu, select the type of court rental.
Search for availability or scroll through the list, locate your court of choice, and select Choose to view availability.
Select the time of your choice on the grid.
Review the summary at the bottom of the page and click Register.
Select Booker (this will default to the primary contact on your account) and click Next.
Answer the questionnaire, listing the names of all individuals who will be playing on this court booking, and click Next.
Review Booking and click Checkout to choose payment method or Add another reservation if you would like to book another court. (If your booking is incorrect, click Modify Booking to amend).
Select payment method and click Place My Order to complete the reservation.
Select Print Receipt or Print Contract to have the option to either print or email documents. This is your record for who you played with. Please save it for a one-month period.
NOTE: Payment is required at the time of booking. You may cancel your session up to four hours in advance. If you feel symptoms of COVID-19, please stay home. We will be happy to issue you a refund.
Indoor Court Rentals: Players ten years old and up are welcome to participate in the court rentals; however, one adult nineteen years or older must be present and playing.
All Indoor and Outdoor racquet court bookings are now available and can be booked up to four days in advance (to the hour).
Oak Bay Recreation Centre:
- Outdoor Tennis Courts 1-7
Henderson Recreation Centre:
- Outdoor Tennis Courts 1-6
- Indoor Badminton Courts 1-4
- Indoor Pickleball Courts 1-4
- Indoor Table Tennis Tables 1-8
- Outdoor Pickleball Courts A-E
- Outdoor Tennis Courts 1-5
- Outdoor Tennis Courts 1-3
Please refer to the Fees section for amount due per hour during your block booking period.
Indoor at Oak Bay Bubble:
September 15–December 15 (13 weeks)
- Registration: August 31 at 9:00am (Multiple courts)
- Registration: September 1 at 9:00am (Single court)
January 15–April 30 (13 weeks)
- Registration: November 30 at 9 :00am (Multiple courts)
- Registration: December 1 at 9:00am (Single court)
Tennis and Pickleball
Outdoor at Henderson Recreation Centre (Tennis) and Carnarvon Park (Pickleball)
May 1– September 14 (20 weeks for the cost of 17 weeks to account for rain days).
- Registration: March 31 at 9:00am (Multiple courts)
- Registration: April 1 at 9:00am (Single court)
How to block book online:
- Ensure your Oak Bay online account and login is set up.
- Go to oakbayrec.perfectmind.com
- Login with username and password.
- Click the Schedule Button near the top of the screen.
- Under Racquet Sports click Block Bookings (you may need to click Show Courses).
- Select date and type of Block Booking and click Register.
- Click on the WAITLIST.
- Answer the questionnaire.
Note: If you are not home when the call is made, your court will be held until payment is made unless you have not inputted all the relevant information for your booking to be held (i.e. Time, day and session).Cancellation Policy:
To receive a refund or credit, you must cancel at least four hours prior to your court time.