Statistics & Facts
The Government of Canada agency, Statistics Canada, conducts and publishes census data every 5 years. Community Profiles are prepared from this data. The most recent census was conducted in 2021. View the 2021 Community Profile
- The population in 2021 was 17,990
- The average age of the population is 49.7
- There are a total of 8,168 private dwellings in Oak Bay
- Tod House, located at 2564 Heron Street, was built in 1850 and is the oldest home in Oak Bay.
- The average household size in 2021 was 2.3
- In 2010, the bodies of water around Oak Bay, including southern Vancouver Island and Washington State were officially renamed the Salish Sea.
- There are no gas stations in Oak Bay.
- There are more than 20 restaurants and cafes in Oak Bay.
- A popular online travel site considers Oak Bay Village to be the oldest and most interesting part of greater Victoria.
- Oak Bay is situated on traditional First Nations Lekwungen land.
- Oak Bay is home to three golf courses. In addition to two private golf courses, the public Henderson Golf Course 9 hole par 3 course been in operation since the 1970s.
- The Oak Bay Tea Party celebrated its 60th anniversary in 2022.
- Canada's oldest Chinese cemetery is located at Harling Point, at the end of Crescent Road. It was designated a National Historic Site in 1995 and adheres to the principles of feng shui