Claim Home Owner Grant
Municipalities are no longer accepting applications for the Home Owner Grant Program
Beginning in 2021, the Home Owner Grant Program will be handled by the Province of British Columbia. This will not change the eligibility criteria for the program.
What this means:
• The Province will be entirely responsible for the home owner grant program for the 2021 tax year.
• All home owners will apply directly to the Province online or over the phone.
• The provincial application will be available early in the new year, subject to the deposit of the regulations. Work on the regulations is currently underway by the Province.
• Starting Jan. 1, 2021, Municipalities will no longer accept retroactive or new applications for the grant. Please go to www.gov.bc.ca/homeownergrant or call 250-387-0555 for assistance.
Centralizing this program within the B.C. government will:
• Ensure homeowners receive the grant amount they are eligible for, such as the additional grant for seniors or persons with a disability.
• Automate the approval process for grants resulting in quicker application processing – this will help prevent ineligible homeowners from being penalized for late property tax payment.
• Increase tax compliance, ensuring people are paying the right amount of tax.
Thank you for your cooperation with transitioning the Home Owner Grant Program over to the Province of British Columbia.