Volunteer Committees and Commissions
There are many opportunities to participate in your local government through Council appointments to serve on various municipal Committees and Commissions.
Committees and Commissions provide important advice and recommendations to Council on matters related to their mandate or referred to them by Council. Other sources that inform Council’s governance decisions and plans include input from the public and staff, and all applicable policies, plans, regulations and legislation.
A complete list of Oak Bay’s current Committees and Commissions (or Advisory Bodies) is provided below. Oak Bay’s Advisory Bodies typically meet monthly, except for August and December, subject to there being business items to discuss. (Note that during the COVID-19 pandemic, meetings may be conducted electronically or in-person where possible, with strict adherence to the District’s safety plans). The anticipated volunteer commitment is approximately 5 hours per month to prepare for and attend meetings.
For more detailed information:
- review the Advisory Body Terms of Reference and Establishing Bylaws by clicking on the relevant link below
- view the Committee and Commission Policy
- View the Council Procedures Bylaw - Committee and Commission procedures outlined in Part 11
The District of Oak Bay is currently accepting applications for the following Committees and Commissions until October 6, 2023:
- Advisory Planning Commission (2 positions available)
- Heritage Commission (1 position available)
- Parks, Recreation and Culture Advisory Committee (2 positions available)
- Advisory Design Panel (2 positions available, must be AIBC-nominated.*)
Or, if you prefer, you can download and print a PDF copy of the application form, attach your resume and then submit in one of the following ways:
- By email: email@example.com
- By fax: 250-598-9108 (Attention: Corporate Officer)
- By mail or drop off: Oak Bay Municipal Hall, 2167 Oak Bay Avenue, Victoria BC, V8R 1G2
Attention: Corporate Officer
If you require a printed copy of the application form, please contact the Corporate Officer at 250-598-3311.
The District of Oak Bay also appoints volunteer members to the following organizations. When available, vacancies for these organizations will be advertised on this page.