Drop Off Depot
Garbage, recyclables and garden waste drop off depot
Oak Bay residents may also take excess garbage, recyclables and garden refuse to the Public Works Yard on 1771 Elgin Road.
Hours of operation are:
- Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., excluding holidays. This additional service is free of charge.
To use the Drop Off Depot, residents must display a Resident Sticker on their vehicle. These stickers are available at the Public Works Yard. Residents may also show vehicle insurance papers are required as proof of residency either to use the facility or to obtain a Resident Sticker.
All residents who use the drop off depot must access by vehicle. We do not allow foot traffic at the drop off depot.
Please be reminded that physical distancing precautions remain in place due to COVID-19 at the Elgin Road facility. We ask that when visiting the facility please:
- refrain from idling cars while waiting in line; and
- always follow the direction of the District attendants.
NOTE - the issue of new resident stickers is currently suspended due to municipal facilities closures. Please note that in order to comply with social distancing measures, we are limiting vehicle access to the upper portion of the drop off depot to 3 vehicles at one time. We appreciate your patience and understanding at this time. See Engineering and Public Works for details.
What can be dropped off at the depot?
- Garbage securely fastened in plastic bags
- Yard trimmings, grass, leaves, (branches must be less than 3 feet in length and 3 inches in diameter)
- Leftover paint, and empty paint cans
- Plastic containers and rigid plastic packaging, clean plastic shopping bags
- Corrugated cardboard (must be flattened)
- Mixed paper, newspaper, boxboard
- Small metal items, except fridges and freezers
- Propane tanks
- Car batteries / household batteries
No wood, building materials, furniture, mattresses or tires are permitted.