Drop Off Depot
Garbage, recyclables and garden waste drop off depot
Please Click Here for a helpful PDF document explaining how to access the Municipal Yard Recycle and Transfer Station, what to do if you are a non-resident property owner or have a vehicle which is not insured to an Oak Bay address, what is accepted, as well as the answers to many commonly asked questions.
Oak Bay residents may also take excess garbage, recyclables and garden refuse to the Public Works Yard on 1771 Elgin Road.
Hours of operation are:
- Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., excluding holidays. This additional service is free of charge.
To use the Drop Off Depot, residents must display a Resident Sticker on their vehicle. These stickers are available at the Public Works Yard and are obtained from the friendly staff at the Drop-Off Depot. Simply supply your vehicle insurance papers showing an Oak Bay address to be issued your decal. Decals expire every 5 years, so you will need to visit the staff members to get a new decal upon expiry.
All residents who use the drop off depot must access by vehicle. We do not allow foot traffic at the drop off depot.
Please be reminded that physical distancing precautions remain in place due to COVID-19 at the Elgin Road facility. We ask that when visiting the facility please:
- refrain from idling cars while waiting in line; and
- always follow the direction of the District attendants.
NOTE - Decals to access the public works yard are obtained from the attendants at the drop-off Depot. To be eligible for a decal, your vehicle MUST be registered to an Oak Bay address (For additional information please click here). Please note that in order to comply with social distancing measures, we are limiting vehicle access to the upper portion of the drop off depot to 4 vehicles at one time. We appreciate your patience and understanding at this time. See Engineering and Public Works for details.
What can be dropped off at the depot?
- Garbage securely fastened in plastic bags
- Yard trimmings, grass, leaves, (branches must be less than 3 feet in length and 3 inches in diameter)
- Leftover paint, and empty paint cans
- Plastic containers and rigid plastic packaging, clean plastic shopping bags
- Corrugated cardboard (must be flattened)
- Mixed paper, newspaper, boxboard
- Small metal items, except fridges and freezers
- Propane tanks
- Household batteries
No wood, building materials, furniture, mattresses, car batteries or tires are permitted. No access to the Municipal Yard by foot allowed, all residents who access the Oak Bay Municipal Yard must do so by vehicle.