Aquatic Swim Descriptions and Registration and Lesson information is below.
Welcome back to the water! We are pleased to welcome back swimmers to our pool however please recognize that in order to follow and adhere to the guidelines and recommendations of the Province, Island Health and other authorities your aquatics experiences will look and feel different. Please take some time to read through the overview of the safety protocols here and please note that all access to the pool is by registration only, there are no “drop in” times available during this Pandemic.
Registration for Evening Single Lane and Water Running Bookings Only:
Registration for these sessions begins four days in advance of the day/time you would like to attend.
$14.75 per Single Swim Lane (not including tax).
$7.50 per Water Running Lane (not including tax).
Lanes can be booked only over the phone.
There is a four hour cancellation policy.
50 & Better Swim
A time for swimmers aged 50 & up, to enjoy length swimming, leisure space, 50+ swimming lessons and drop-in aquafit classes. Adults under the age of 50 are welcome to share the sauna, steam room and hot tub.
Adult Length Swim
An evening adult-only length swim with lane and leisure space available to adults aged 16 & up.
Early Bird Swim
Early morning length swimming, leisure space and drop-in aquafit classes seven days a week for a special rate. Families are welcome to enjoy the small pool and children 12 years or younger may swim lengths when accompanied by an adult.
Everyone Welcome Swim
Featuring two waterslides, inflatable toys, rope swings, games and more. Swimmers of all ages are welcome. Length swimming space is not available. Drop-in Deep Water aquafit classes share the pool on Monday and Wednesday evening from 6:30- 7:30pm.
Swimmers with disabilities are welcome to enjoy the pool free of charge. Free admission includes one person with a disability and up to two family members or friends. The pool offers an on-deck lift and specialized changing facilities. Length swimming, leisure space and the Blue Slidewinder will be available.
Kids Fun Swim
An action-packed swim for kids and families featuring theme days, two waterslides, inflatable toys, rope swings, games, and prizes. Swimmers of all ages are welcome. Length swimming space is not available
Late Night Swim
Featuring length swimming and leisure space. The dropslide runs every night at 9:45pm. Swim for just $3 after 11:00pm.
Leisure and Lenths
Offers length swimming, leisure space and drop-in aquafit classes. Families are welcome to enjoy the small pool and children 12 years or younger may swim lengths when accompanied by an adult.
Monday and Wednesday evenings from 8:30-9:30pm, three lanes are available for Single Lane Bookings. Call 250-595-7946 to book.
Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 8:30-9:30pm length swimming space.
Leisure and Widths
Width swimming is available in the main pool while aquafit takes place in the shallow end. Families are welcome to enjoy the small pool and children 12 years or younger may swim lengths when accompanied by an adult.
A supervised drop-in swimming workout for swimmers of all ages.
Parent and Tot Swim
A quiet time in the small pool for parents & children under the age of 7. The main pool is unavailable during this swim.
A time for local schools to enjoy the pool. The pools, sauna and steam room are not available to the public during this time. For rental inquiries call 250-370-7108.
Lessons are offered for all ages and abilities. The sauna and steam room are available to the public during swim lessons, but all pools, including the hot tub, are closed.
Recreation Oak Bay is proud to offer a wide variety of Aquafit classes. All classes, except Water Works, are available for drop in.
50 & Better Aquafit
A mild to moderate workout designed for those aged 50 and better. Work on strength, flexibility, and range of motion while increasing your cardio stamina.
Deep Water Aquafit
Work on core stability while getting an excellent cardio and strength workout. This class uses weight belts, foam dumb bells, and noodles for a no–impact, high energy workout. This class is a moderate to intense level. Comfort in deep water is required.
Shallow Water Aquafit
Get moving with 60 minutes of moderate-level aquatic exercises. Noodles, foam dumb bells, and other equipment may be used to improve strength, flexibility, and stamina.
Shallow Water Energizer
This high-energy, shallow-water class offers a moderate to intense workout focused on cardio and strength training.
This class is ideal for anyone suffering from joint pain. The gentle exercise will work your muscles, increase your range of motion, and ease your pain. Classes begin in chest-deep water in the main pool and wind up in the warm pool. This class is a registered program.
- These are registered courses that run weekly for a certain number of weeks. There is no single admission option.
- Registration will be ongoing until a class is full. Late registrants are welcome and will receive a pro-rated registration rate.
- Aquafit classes can be booked through Reception and online.
- Cancellation Policy: For courses that are four (4) classes or more, credits/refunds must be requested before the second class. After the second class, credits/refunds are granted only for cases of illness supported by a doctor’s note. (Other compassionate reasons may be considered.)
|Single||10 Punch Pass||25 Punch Pass||Early Bird|
Punch passes are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Memberships are available. Please see the Rates and Passes page.
Adult: An individual between the ages of 19-59 years.
Senior: An individual 60 years of age or over.
Student: An individual who attends post-secondary instition and produces a valid student card at the time of purchase. The first punch pass purchase must be done in-person, after those purchases can be done over the phone or in-person.
Youth: An individual up to 18 years of age.
Child: An individual up to 12 years of age.
Early Bird: 6:00-9:00am (8:00am on weekends and statutory holidays).
Recreation Oak Bay is proud to be a training partner with the Canadian Red Cross! The Red Cross Learn to Swim Program offers lessons to fit all skill levels and ages.
Red Cross Swim Preschool is an eight-level stand-alone program for four-month to six-year-old children that allows swimmers to enter various levels based on age and ability. Each level is represented by an animal mascot that is incorporated into the content and makes the lesson engaging and fun, through songs and activities.
Preschool Swim Descriptions
Starfish (4–12 months)
- Orientation to water for babies and their parent/caregiver. To enter this level, babies must be able to hold their head up.
Duck (12–24 months)
- Orientation to water for toddlers and their parent/caregiver.
- Swimmers learn how to use floating objects for support and explore different water movements through games, songs and active water play. The parent/caregiver also learns age-specific water safety.
Sea Turtle (24–36 months)
- Orientation to water for toddlers and their parent/caregiver.
- Swimmers learn, through fun games and songs, how to combine skills, how to kick with a buoyant object and how to perform basic floats, glides and kicks.
Sea Otter (3–5 years)
- Swimmers enter this level when they are three years of age
- Using games and activities, swimmers learn to open their eyes under water, further develop basic floats and glides, and swim 1 metre. They also learn age-appropriate water safety skills.
Salamander (3–5 years)
- Using games and activities, swimmers learn to swim 2 metres, further develop basic floats and increase their distance on front and back glide. Front swim and roll-over glide are also included. Swimmers learn appropriate water safety skills such as how to jump into chest-deep water and how to use a Personal Flotation Device (PFD).
- Safety skills development includes water orientation, safe entries and exits and only swimming when an adult is present.
Sunfish (3–5 years)
- Using games and activities, swimmers learn to swim 5 metres, increase their distance using buoyant objects, increase their front and back glide with kick, and develop their roll-over glide, side glide and front swim. Safety skills include deep-water skills and use of a Personal Flotation Device (PFD).
- Safety skills development such as water orientation, safe entries and exits and always asking for permission before going near the water.
Crocodile (3–6 years)
- Through games and other fun activities, swimmers learn to swim 5 metres on their front and back, perform a dolphin kick and begin using rhythmic breathing. They also progress with kicking drills and increase their swimming distance to 10 metres.
- Safety skills include jumping into deep-water and performing surface support for 10 seconds, recognizing when a swimmer needs help and using a Personal Flotation Device (PFD) in deep water.
Whale (3–6 years)
- Through fun activities, swimmers perform a front and back swim for 10 metres. Swimmers work on developing their flutter kick and perform a distance swim of 15 metres.
- Safety skills include identifying safe swimming areas, jumping into deep water, swimming 5 metres, surface support for 20 seconds a return to safety, throwing assists and sitting dives.
- Children five years or older are ready for the appropriate level of Red Cross Swim Kids.
Red Cross Swim Kids is a ten-level stand-alone program for five to twelve-year-old children. Children learn to swim, be fit, and stay safe in a fun environment that promotes achieving a personal best and celebrates personal success. The program teaches swimming and survival strokes, as well as increasing the distance and speed that each swimmer can achieve, while focusing on making safe decisions in, on, and around the water.
Swim kids Descriptions
This level provides an orientation to the water and the pool area and introduces your child to floats and glides with kicks.
This level will help your child build skills in front & back swims. Your child is introduced to deep water activities and proper use of a Personal Floatation Device (PFD). Endurance is built on flutter kicking with assisted glides.
This level provides your child with an introduction to front crawl as well as the foundation for making wise choices on where and when to swim. Diving is introduced and your child will work on floats and changing direction. Endurance is achieved by building strength in flutter kick and a 15 metre swim.
The front crawl, back glide and shoulder roll for back crawl are further developed. Your child will work on kneeling dives, surface support and developing a greater sense of self-safety by under-standing his/her own limits. Endurance is built through a 25 metre swim.
Back crawl is introduced to your child along with sculling skills and whip kick on the back. Your child will try stride dives and receive an introduction to safe boating skills. Endurance is developed through a 50 metre swim.
Front and back crawl continue to be refined as the elementary backstroke is newly introduced. Your child is also introduced to safety on ice, elementary rescue of others with throwing assists, treading water and the front dive. Endurance is built through a 75 metre swim.
This level continues to build skills and endurance for front crawl, back crawl and elementary back stroke and introduces your child to whip kick on the front. Your child will learn about mild & severe airway obstructions, and participate in timed treading water for increasing endurance. The endurance swim is 150 metres.
This level provides an introduction to the breaststroke, foot first surface dives, and rescue entries. Your child will learn about the dangers of open water, hypothermia, and the performance of rescue breathing on children and adults. Endurance is built through a 300 metre swim.
Front crawl, back crawl, elementary backstroke and breaststroke continue to be refined. In this level your child is encouraged to try combining different strokes and kicks for fitness. Your child also works on head-first shallow dives and standing dives and learns about wise choices, peer influences, and self-rescue from ice. Endurance with a 400 metre swim.
Further refinement of strokes, with an introduction to side-stroke and scissor kick as a warm-up/cool-down stroke for fitness. Your child will learn about sun safety, rescue of others from the ice, and head-first and feet-first shallow dives. Endurance is built using dolphin kick drills and a 500 metre swim.
Red Cross Swim Basics is a two-level learn-to-swim program for adults and teens. These courses are designed to develop or increase swimmers’ comfort in the water through basic flotation, movement, and breathing skills and to foster the basic knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed to stay safe in, on, and around the water.
Red Cross Swim Strokes is a stand-alone stroke development program for adults and teens, and for participants in Red Cross Swim Kids who require additional work on a stroke to complete the level. The program is designed to further develop strokes chosen by the swimmer in consultation with the Water Safety Instructor and increase swimming distances and proficiency.
The Lightning-Fast Swim Series has five levels and is based on a Swimming First Philosophy which introduces the techniques of competitive swimming right from the earliest levels, to develop improved levels of swimming efficiency and skills. It is designed primarily for three- to ten-year-old children who want to learn to swim with confidence, gain endurance, and improve stroke technique. The series is designed by our award-winning Pacific Coast Swimming coaches and is an innovative skills-based swimming program designed to be mastered quickly by young children.
Simple Set Private Lessons
Simple Set Private Lessons are 30-minute sessions, and these lessons are programmed to match the dates of the group lessons. Simply choose a time, then call reception at 250-595-SWIM (7946) to register.
Simple Set Cancellation Policy: Prorated refunds or credits may be obtained if requested before the second class. Classes cannot be rescheduled. Make-up lessons are not provided.
Perfect Fit Private Lessons
Perfect Fit Private Lessons can be scheduled in 30-minute, 45-minute, or 1-hour sessions. These lessons can be customized to suit your needs. You may request any time.
Perfect Fit Cancellation Policy:
To cancel a private lesson, please call Reception at 250-595-7946. Morning lessons must be cancelled by 6:00pm the night before. Afternoon and evening lessons must be cancelled by 9:00am the day of the lesson, or you will be charged for the lesson.
All lessons must be paid in full at the time of booking.