Skating & Hockey
Recreation Oak Bay’s terrific Learn to Skate program is for children and teens that want to improve their skating. The Learn to Skate program caters to preschool age, school age children and teens at any level who are wanting to improve their skating in a fun and motivating way.
The Greater Victoria Active Communities Learn to Skate Program is new to seven municipalities of Greater Victoria. The Learn to Skate Program has been streamlined and designed so that any pre-school or school age child can have their accomplishments transferred from center to center. This program is a badge incentive program that emphasizes the importance of comprehensive feedback through report cards. Our Skate Team Leader is on the ice during all lesson times and can answer your questions about lessons and your child’s progress.
Active Communities Learn to Skate program was created as an initiative to standardize the recreational component of learning to skate.
To register your community, please print off the information form, fill it out and email it to the Learn to Skate Program Representative.
Download Active Communities Learn to Skate Program Materials:
- Download the Sign Up Sheet [PDF - 200 KB]
- Download the Information Package [PDF - 6 MB]
- Download Program Materials [ZIP FILE - 12 MB]
- Download Program Materials [ZIP FILE - 20 MB]
For teens, the program improves their skating and offers opportunity to learn instructional skill to advance opportunities for later employment as a skating instructor.
The skater to instructor ratio on ice ensures that the skaters will learn and improve their skating skills.
CSA approved helmets and gloves are mandatory for the lessons. Helmets are available at no charge from the Skate Shop.
Recreation Oak Bay also offers Perfect Fit & Simple Set private (one-on-one) and semi-private (two people maximum) skating, hockey and figure skating instruction (see registration options above) with our qualified skating staff. Lessons are offered on Mondays between 3:15-5:45pm and Saturday morning between 9-10:30am from September to April (select times are also offered in the summer months).
Simple Set option allow you to pick the lesson set schedule that works for you and at a reduced cost. You must attend all the class and there are not refunds or credits on miss classes. Make up lesson are not provided. Check lesson times and schedule to pick the set you want and then call reception 250-595-7946 to register.
Anytime of Private lesson will NOT run on a STAT holiday. Check your confirmation.
See the CHEK News segment on the Learn to Skate Program:
Arena COVID-19 Guidelines for Use
The health and safety of our public and staff is a top priority. It iseveryone’s responsibility to help prevent the potential spread of COVID-19.
The following protocols will support our efforts to maintain a safeenvironment in the Arena.
If you are sick or have any symptoms of COVID-19, please do not enter the facility.
- No drop-ins will be available at this time, all access to the arena must be pre-registered online or
- by phone at 250-595-7946.
- Please practice physical distancing, remain 2 metres apart at all times.
- Please enter the arena by the exterior arena doors only and follow the foot traffic directional signage posted.
- Please do not arrive more than 15 minutes prior to their registered ice time.
- Only one parent/guardian per child may enter the facility.
- Please arrive dressed in full equipment except for skates. Limit personal items in the lobby/arena.Skaters will remove shoes and put on skates in the marked areas and take shoes and limited
- personal items to the storage area by the on-ice gates.
- Skate and helmet rentals are not available at this time.
- When possible, parents are asked to keep their child’s belongings with them.
- Skaters will enter the ice by the on-ice gates and spectators will procced to the spectator area by following the directional signage posted.
- Hockey dressing rooms and showers will not be available.
- Skaters must bring their own clearly marked full water bottle.
- Absolutely no game play, scrimmages or contact drills or activates.
- Absolutely no spitting!
- Wash or sanitize your hands or upon arrival and before you leave the facility. Hand sanitizers will be available in common areas.
- Skaters will exit the ice via following the directional signage posted to collect their shoes and limited personal items by the off -ice gates.
- Parent or guardians will follow the directional signage to meet up with their child in the exit area to bring them their shoes and belongings.
- Please exit within 15 minutes of the completion of the program.
Rules are subject to change and will be updated as needed. Those disregarding rules may be asked to leave the facility.
Oak Bay Parks, Recreation and Culture follows the direction of the public health authorities. Contact the Arena Coordinator if any issues arise: 250-370-7113.
For updates on COVID-19 visit www.oakbay.ca/covid-19