Wall of Fame
- Community Wall of Fame Application [PDF - 59 KB]
Community Recognition Policy & Procedures
This Wall of Fame Community Recognition initiative is established as a means to honour individuals who have been instrumental in the development of Oak Bay’s parks, facilities, and programs and who have exercised extraordinary commitment to the community of Oak Bay or performed voluntary services deemed to have been of great importance to the community.
The Wall of Fame is a permanent tribute displayed in the Social Lounge of the Oak Bay Recreation Centre consisting of a photograph of the inductees alongside a brief description of their contributions.
This policy establishes procedures for the selection of individuals to be recognized, as well as criteria that will guide members of a Selection Committee in recommending names for approval by Municipal Council.
The following criteria shall be used in selecting individuals for this honour:
- Had a significant impact on the continuation and/or enhancement of established community programs and/or created new opportunities for the community through new facilities or programs;
- Had a positive impact on the lives of Oak Bay’s citizens;
- Quality and length of community service;
- Candidate may be living or deceased.
III. Procedure for Nominating and Selecting Individuals to be Honoured
- Nominations shall be made in writing on an approved nomination form to the office of the Director of Parks and Recreation.
- All nominations, whether from an individual or an organization, must include the name and address of the submitter. No anonymous nominations will be accepted. All nomination applications must be accompanied by two (2) letters of reference.
- The Director is responsible for conveying the nominations to the Selection Committee. The Director’s office will assure that adequate time is allowed for the Selection Committee to evaluate the nominations.
- The Selection Committee will be formed on an ad hoc basis with appointment by the Mayor. It shall include two representatives of the Parks and Recreation Commission, two representatives of Municipal Council, and one representative from the general community. A staff member from the Director’s office will provide staff assistance to the committee, but will be a non-voting member.
- Up to three (3) individuals may be inducted into the Wall of Fame in any one year. However, the selection committee may deem it not appropriate to make a recommendation to Council in any given year.
- Organizations may submit multiple nominations in any one year. However, only one nomination per organization may be selected in any one year.
- The Selection Committee will consider the criteria outlined above and may prepare a recommendation to Council citing the notable achievements and contributions of the individual.
- The recommendation(s) received from the Selection Committee, if any, shall be placed on the “In Camera” Council agenda, for final approval.
- In order to maintain confidentiality, only the names of those selected will be released.
- Nominees who are eligible for selection, but were not selected, will be kept on file for future consideration for a period of three (3) years. All nomination forms, applicable documentation, and/or photos will become the property of the Corporation of the District of Oak Bay and will not be returned to the Nominator unless specifically requested at the time of nomination. Returned nominations will not be automatically included for future consideration.
- Nominations will be solicited annually through an annual advertising campaign in January and February.
IV. Timeline For Submitting Nominations
- Closing date for nominations is February 28th each year;
- Nominations will be reviewed by the Selection Committee by March 31st each year;
- Recommended nominations will be presented to Municipal Council for approval in April of each year;
V. Recognition - Once approved by Council
The inductees will be publicly recognized in the following ways:
- The inductees will receive recognition on the Wall of Fame, located at the Oak Bay Recreation Centre, consisting of a photograph and concise description of their contributions.
- Inductees and one guest will be invited to the Municipal Volunteer Recognition Dinner held in May. In the event a selected nominee is deceased, two (2) family members will be invited to the Municipal Dinner for recognition.
- If attendance to the Municipal Dinner is not possible, recognition will be done at some other appropriate time, as set by Council.
Current members of Municipal Council or Council appointed boards or committees are not eligible for nomination.