LIFE and Jumpstart are community programs that minimize financial barriers to participation and facilitate access to leisure services.
These programs offer support and resources for individuals being able to access various sport and recreational activities and are intended for residents whom otherwise would not have recreational opportunities.
L.I.F.E. = Leisure Involvement for Everyone
The LIFE program has been designed to provide healthy lifestyle opportunities for the residents of Oak Bay who are on limited incomes. LIFE is also available at all Greater Victoria Recreational Facilities.
To apply for the LIFE program, simply bring the following to an Oak Bay recreation centre reception desk (Oak Bay Recreation Centre, Henderson Recreation Centre, or Monterey Recreation Centre):
L.I.F.E. Application form (pdf).
You will be asked for:
- Proof of current Oak Bay residency (utility bill, rental agreement, etc.).
- Previous or current year’s Notices of Assessment (NOA)* for each applying adult (18 years and older).
- Every family member who needs an access card will have a photo taken.
*To obtain a copy of your NOA call Revenue Canada at 1-800-959-8281 or visit https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/a-copy-your-notice-assessment-reassessment.htmlFor those individuals under extenuating circumstances who are unable to clearly provide a NOA an Adjudicator Form may be accepted in lieu on a case-by-case basis.
If you are applying for the LIFE 2021 Program, the following low-income threshold numbers will be used (Per # of People in the Household):
1 = $25,923
2 = $36,660
3 = $44,900
4 = $51,846
5 = $57,966
6 = $63,499
7+ = $68,587
(Due to COVID-19 we are only able to offer one option regionally for the 2021 LIFE program)
An access card with 52 single session admissions at any Greater Victoria recreation facility for each member of the household. Each LIFE member will also receive four discounts for registered courses. Each discount provides either 50% off a course which is $100 or less or $50 off a course over $100 with Recreation Oak Bay.
*If you use up all your 52 admissions, you can also use one of your four discounts to purchase a regular punch pass package and receive 50% off a punch package which is $100 or less or $50 off a punch package over $100 with Recreation Oak Bay.
2021 Changes Due to COVID-19
1. You will need to have a client account with every Recreation Centre where you wish to use your admissions.
2. You will need to convert several your 52 admission squares on your sticker to digital punches at the Recreation Centre where you wish to use them in order to register and participate.
3. All activities are pre-registered during this time.
For Example: Cross off 10 squares on your sticker and receive 10 digital punches on your client account to be able to preregister for 10 single-session activities at Recreation Oak Bay (applicable activities: fitness studio, group fitness, swimming, skating, and sports sessions excluding golf and tennis) and then do the same thing with another municipality’s recreation centre to participate in their single-session activities. Alternatively, if you anticipate only using Recreation Oak Bay, you can allocate all 52 squares as punches at the time of application.
- Full-time post-secondary students are NOT eligible for the LIFE program. Spouses and dependents of students (who are not students themselves) are still eligible.
- Discount coupons, drop-in admissions, and memberships are non-transferable and are not eligible for cash or credit.
- Participants must have their picture taken for their LIFE card.
- Replacement cards will be prorated by subtracting four visits per month from the date of issue up to the date the card is replaced.
- An Adjudicator Form (pdf) is available during this time to assist those who would like to access the benefits of the L.I.F.E. program, but may not have income or residence information available.
For more information, please contact Reception at 250-595-7946.
What’s at the very heart of being a kid?
PLAY. It’s as simple as that.
The Canadian Tire Jumpstart program is a community-based charitable program that helps kids in need participate in organized sports and recreational activities. Soccer, swimming, and dancing are just a few of the fun activities waiting to be discovered.
It means “yes” to more kids gaining the life-long health benefits, confidence and social skills that come from being active at an early age. And of course, it means “yes” to fun.
How to become involved.
One way for children between the ages of 5-18 years to access funds from the Canadian Tire Jumpstart program is to sign up for the LIFE program at any recreational facility in Greater Victoria.
Funds are allocated each season. Contact your local recreation centre to enquire about these funds.