516 Newport Avenue
The Bleakney House is a two-storey Tudor style house and well-landscaped grounds in the area referred to as the South Newport Avenue Spine.
This property is important to Oak Bay as the home of the Bleakney family. Arthur Stuart Bleakney Esquire was the Canadian Trade Commissioner in Ottawa. It is notable that this internationally influential figure, chose to retire in Oak Bay. Residing at this address until 1946, the Bleakneys built a second home in 1948 at 651 Beach Drive. The residence was home to several prominent families, including Mrs. Alice Stuart (c. 1967-1984), a retired appraiser for Sotheby’s, and her husband Dr. E.A. Stuart. The current owners have named the home Langdale House after a favorite spot in the Lake District of England
Also important is the association with English trained architect Hubert Savage (Patio Court). Commissioned in 1936, the architect has used an asymmetrical façade, irregular roofline, bay windows and projecting front entrance to create a distinctive building within the popular Tudor Revival style. Additionally, the prominent corner location of the house and its design integrated into a sloped and rocky terrain make the property one of the most significant historic landmarks on the South Newport Avenue Spine.
- The views between the house and Newport and Island Roads.
- Tudor Revival design typified by the tall and narrow windows, side porch, and pointed arch in the doorway.
- Steep and irregular roofline with dropsided gables.
- Intact interior spatial configurations of the first floor reception rooms and the second floor narrow corridor to the Maid’s room.
- Authentic (historic) interior detailing dating to the Bleakneys residence from 1937-46 such as the original woodwork of the oak floors, central staircase, fir mantles, encased radiators, bathroom cabinets
- Tile at the front door, marble fireplace surround and black hearth tile.
- Beveled glass in the bedroom doors.
- South-facing leaded casement windows.
- Light fixtures and architectural hardware.
- Original landscape features including the wrought iron fence, mature oak trees, granite steps and rock wall (built by Arthur Stuart Bleakney).