The Oak Bay Fire Department was established in 1937, enacted by Bylaw 848. The Fire hall is located at 1703 Monterey Avenue. The Fire Department currently employs 26 career firefighters and two support personnel.
To provide enhanced fire protection and public safety services to avoid loss of life and property, through fire prevention, emergency preparedness and intervention.
Fire Department Mandate
Oak Bay Fire Department is a direct provider of emergency and non-emergency services to the following:
- Residents of the Municipality of Oak Bay.
- Businesses and customers located within the Municipality of Oak Bay.
- Persons attending and working at the University of Victoria.
- Residents of the panhandle area of the Municipality of Saanich (automatic response area). Other municipal departments (e.g. Police, Public Works, Parks Department plus Administration).
- Mutual aid partners: Saanich Fire Department, Victoria Fire Department and British Columbia Ambulance Service.
The Fire department is staffed 24 hours, 7 days a week by four rotating 6-person fire suppression crews. The Fire Chief is the Department Head and normally works a Monday to Friday shift. The Fire Prevention Division works a similar weekday shift.
The Fire Department is also the after hours Public Works and Parks dispatch for emergencies such as flooding from a broken water line, a serious sewer leak or municipal trees fallen across a public road or path.
Oak Bay Fire Department
1703 Monterey Avenue
Victoria BC, V8R 5V6
Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Fire Chief - Darren Hughes
Deputy Fire Chief - Darren Lee