Oak Bay Archives will be closed December 18th to January 8th. Our regular business hours will resume on Tuesday January 9th, 2018. Happy Holidays!
Welcome to Oak Bay Archives
Oak Bay Archives collects, preserves and provides access to Oak Bay's historical records. We are located on the lower level of the Oak Bay Municipal Hall and welcome visitors during our open hours on Tuesday mornings and Thursday afternoons. Volunteers are available to assist with inquiries. The Archives was established by the District of Oak Bay in 1994 and serves as the central repository of the community's historical records. Oak Bay Archives gratefully accepts donations of photographs, family albums, personal papers and other documents relating to the history of Oak Bay.
Oak Bay Archives serves the community by:
- Collecting and preserving Oak Bay's documentary heritage, including the official records of the municipality
- Providing public access to corporate and community records
- Raising awareness of Oak Bay's history and heritage through public education and outreach programs
- 1921 Census Project: Help us transcribe the Oak Bay entries from the 1921 Census of Canada! When the national census was taken in 1921 Oak Bay had a population of 4,150. The census records provide a wealth of information for family history research including name, age, occupation, religion, language and birth place for each resident. Volunteers have finished transcribing the 1911 census (soon to be posted online) and are starting to work on 1921. Please contact us if you can help with this project.
- Special Events: Oak Bay Archives participates in community events throughout the year including the Oak Bay Tea Party, the summer Night Markets, and local history talks in partnership with GVPL. We often need volunteers to help set up displays and distribute information. If you have an hour or two to spare and would like to join us please let us know!
Oak Bay Archives in the News
- Oak Bay News, 28 May 2017 Oak Bay Archives embarks on first Oak Bay Tea party
- Oak Bay News, 24 May 2017 Snap your image of Oak Bay
- Oak Bay News, 4 Apr 2017 Oak Bay man memorialized at Vimy
- Oak Bay News, 6 Aug 2016 New Oak Bay archivist plans myriad projects
- Oak Bay News, 4 Nov 2016 New Oak Bay archives, library partnership highlights pre-Prohibition hotspots
- Oak Bay News, 12 Sep 2014 Archivist sparks talk of 19th century
- Oak Bay News, 6 Jun 2013 Digging into shovel’s history
Oak Bay Archives
2167 Oak Bay Avenue
Victoria, British Columbia V8R 1G2
Open Tuesday 9:30am - 12:00pm & Thursday 1pm and 3pm (or by appointment)
Follow us on Twitter @OakBayArchives