Oak Bay War Memorial
Following several years of urging on the part of relatives of Oak Bay's war dead, it was decided a War Memorial was to be built in Uplands Park. It was unveiled Armistice Day, November 11, 1948 by Lieutenant Governor Charles Banks and dedicated by Archdeacon A de L. Nunns and the Reverend WW McPherson.
Municipal Engineer ASG Musgrave oversaw the project and sculptorHames Saull, a former Canadian Airman, who made his home in Victoria after the war, was chosen to design the monument.
Using his wife as the model, Saull created the sculpture in concrete. - with a granite/concrete facing. It faces the water, standing nine feet tall on a rock outcropping with the Garry Oaks of Uplands Park as the backdrop. The designated site features the central figure (Mother Peace) standing looking down, her arms protecting the 97 names of Oak Bay's 1939-1945 war dead. The inscription reads:
"Roll of Honour" "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
Also included in the designation are the natural stone walkway and the winding stone staircase leading up to the monument.