House Number Display
Display Your House Numbers
Clear, legible and unobstructed house numbers will help emergency responders to find you, when you need them the most.
The District of Oak Bay Bylaw No. 1557 requires that every building:
- Shall affix and keep affixed in a conspicuous place, as near as practicable to the front entrance the street number assigned.
- If the building is separated from the street by a fence, hedge etc., a duplicate number shall be affixed in a conspicuous place near the entrance through the fence, hedge etc.
- The street number shall not be, nor become obscured by vegetation or otherwise.
House numbering recommendations:
- Numbers must be of adequate size to be clearly legible from the street.
- Contrasting background colors should be used.
- Numbers must be unobstructed by shrubs, trees, and building features.
- Conduct a “self test” - stand across the street from you house at night. Can you clearly see and understand your address numbers?
- We recommend illuminating your address at night.
- It is important that long driveways, lanes etc., be clearly marked for easy identification.
- In the event of a building fire, evacuate all occupants and assemble at your “safe meeting place”, delegate one person to meet the fire department.
- For other emergencies - if possible delegate someone to meet the responding emergency personnel and direct them to the scene.
For further information please contact the Oak Bay Fire Dept. @ 250-592-9121.