Oak Bay Archives Reference Library
Oak Bay Archives maintains a reference library of local history publications normally available to researchers during our public hours. In 2018, we were delighted to receive a gift from the Estate of Jim Munro of more than 200 books from his personal collection on local and BC history.
We welcome offers of local history books to add to our library. Please send details in advance of any proposed donation, as we try not to duplicate our own holdings or those of the GVPL, and may be able to refer donors of works already held at OBA to other libraries needing copies.
* new October 2020, Online Catalogue: the Archives`reference library catalogue is now online at LibraryThing: click here to browse. Ways to search:
- Click column headers (Author, Title etc) to order the collection by that heading
- Click individual tags or subject headings to browse by theme
- Enter keywords to search the whole collection - use `Search this library` box near top right, not `Search this site`
The following books were produced by the District of Oak Bay and can be purchased or downloaded as indicated below.
Oak Bay, British Columbia: in Photographs 1906-2006
- Produced by the Oak Bay Archives for the Oak Bay Centennial Committee in honour of Oak Bay's 100th birthday
- This beautifully illustrated book contains historical and current photographs of Oak Bay accompanied by a brief history of Oak Bay's first 100 years
- Available for reference at Oak Bay Archives or for purchase ($25.00) at the Municipal Hall, Ivy's Book Shop, Munro's Books and Bolen Books
Only in Oak Bay: Oak Bay Municipality, 1906-1981
- 75th Anniversary commemorative book, edited by Fred C. Barnes
- Published by The Corporation of the District of Oak Bay, 1981
The History of the Municipality of Oak Bay
- Unpublished manuscript by former Reeve George Murdoch, compiled from Council minutes from 1906 until 1968
- Chapters are arranged chronologically with an account of municipal matters per year, plus themed sections on Religion, Education, Public Protection and Recreation
- Note: the information is provided in original unpublished form, as written in the 1960s
- view index
- Download a PDF of the book
1906 - Golden Jubilee - 1956: Fifty years of Growth
- Souvenir Booklet, Published by The Anniversary Committee of the Council, Councillors George Murdoch, JV Johnson, CHC Mann, 1956
- Download a PDF of Oak Bay Fifty Years of Growth, 1956 (pdf, 4MB)
Oak Bay Archives
2167 Oak Bay Avenue
Victoria, British Columbia V8R 1G2
Email: General Inquiries
Closed to visitors until further notice, enquiries welcome.
Follow us on Twitter @OakBayArchives