If I discover a fire, should I use a portable fire extinguisher?
Yes, ONLY if the following conditions apply:
- Everyone has left the fire area, and is evacuating the building.
- The fire department has been called.
- The fire is confined to a small area.
- There is an appropriate, working fire extinguisher available.
- You have an escape route. Do not let the fire get between you and your way out.
- You have read the fire extinguisher instructions and received training in its safe operation.
If you are interested in learning how to use a portable fire extinguisher, please go to our Community Education page.