Public Notice: District opens secondary drop-off facility for yard waste and garbage
Effective April 23, 2020:
To help alleviate increased demand on the municipal drop-off depot on Elgin Street while COVID-19 measures are in place, the District has created a secondary drop-off facility for yard waste and garbage at the Oak Bay Recreation Centre (OBRC) upper parking lot. Please take note of the following details if planning to visit this temporary facility:
- Access to the OBRC facility will be from Bee Street, but via Goldsmith Street only.
- The temporary OBRC facility will be open from 9:00am to 3:00 pm, Monday to Friday, and will NOT be open on Saturdays.
- Please be advised that recycling will NOT be accepted at the OBRC alternate drop off facility. ALL recycling must be taken to the District’s permanent drop-off depot on Elgin Street.
- District staff will aim to continue operating the OBRC temporary facility in addition to the Elgin Street depot as long as resident demand remains high.
Please be aware of the following additional information:
- Both facilities will be available for Oak Bay residents only. Users will be required to have a District issued decal or show proof of residency such as vehicle insurance documents or a current property tax bill.
- The Elgin Street Drop Off Depot will continue to operate as per the hours instituted during the COVID-19 pandemic response:
- 8:00 a.m. – 3:30p.m. Monday to Friday, and
- 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Saturdays.
- Social distancing precautions will remain in place at both the OBRC and Elgin Street facilities.
- People visiting either facility are reminded to please:
- refrain from idling cars while waiting in line, and
- always follow the direction of the District attendants.