Skating & Hockey Drop-In
Please note: All programs listed are scheduled between January to June 2021 but are subject to change and/or cancellation with changing Public Health Orders. Oak Bay Parks, Recreation and Culture are working closely with Island Health to ensure programs and services meet the requirements of the Public Health Orders. Please call Reception at 250-595-7946.
Session descriptions and holiday skating information below.
Skating & Hockey Drop-In
See table below for Pre-Registered Drop-in times
Winter 2021 Registered Skating Sessions – January - May
See the Table for times.
Skating for ages 18 years and up! Coffee and food are unavailable at this time.
Skating for all ages.
A sessions for families! Enjoy a special beginner’s corner for preschoolers. Strollers are allowed on the ice
Parent and Child Skate
Children under eight years are welcome with their parents/guardians.
*Parent and Child Hockey (Suspended until further notice.)
For kids and adults to skate, stick handle, pass and shoot. Soft pucks are allowed and provided for use. Children are to wear a helmet with a face mask please.
*Registered Over 40 Duffer Hockey (Suspended until further notice.)
Play a full hockey scrimmage with a set cohort of 19 players, one staff and two goalies. Late registration not permitted to ensure cohort groups are not compromised.
*18 years+ Registered Duffer Hockey (Suspended until further notice.)
Play a full hockey scrimmage with a set cohort of 19 players, one staff and two goalies. Late registration not permitted to ensure cohort groups are not compromised. See page 40.
Please refer to facebook or instagram or our COVID-19 program and services web page updates.
|Over 40 Registered
|Over 40 Registered
(Jan 7-May 27)
|Over 18 Registered
(Jan 3-Mar 28)
Parent and Child Skate
(Jan 3-Aug 29)
(Jan 8-Mar 26)
(Jan 2-Mar 27)
(Jan 3-Apr 11)
Guidelines for Registering for Registered Skating sessions:
Skaters must register to attend these sessions.
No Skate or Helmet Rentals or personal equipment of any kinds is available to the public for any of these sessions.
Registration for all sessions opens weekly Wednesdays at 10:00am
Please register online only to pay and hold your spot.
Steps to register ONLINE:
Step 1: Ensure your Oak Bay online account and login is set up.
Step 2: Login with user ID and password at: oakbayrec.perfectmind.com
Step 3: Click the Schedule Button near the top left of the screen.
Step 4: Click Duffer Hockey under the Skating menu.
Step 5: Select date and type of Duffer and click Reserve.
Step: 6: Choose your method of payment.
Registered Duffer Hockey
*This program has a delayed start due to the current PHO. Please still register and updated information will be sent out closer to the program start date. Sports and extracurricular activities: By order of the PHO, restrictions are in place for adult and youth indoor and outdoor sports. These temporary restrictions are in place to limit the amount of physical interactions and travel to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
Adult indoor and outdoor team sports for people 19 years of age and older are suspended. You can review the PHO Order – Gatherings and Events (PDF)
Registration opens December 1, 2020.
Mondays: January 4–March 8
Wednesdays: January 6–March 10
Enjoy playing full hockey scrimmages with a set cohort of 19 players, 1 staff and 2 goalies, for an extended period of time. As per Viasport Phase 3 safe return to play guidelines, hockey is defined as a sport with frequent or sustained contact during game play. Game play is permitted to occur within the cohort environment. As such, once this program starts, there will be no late registration permitted in order to assure that the cohort is not compromised. Please carefully review the rules and policy for coming and leaving the rink located on your program confirmation.
Arena COVID-19 Guidelines for Use
- If you are sick or have any symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend.
- If you have symptoms, please call 8-1-1 or use the BCCDC self-assessment tool. Please stay home if you have travelled in the past 14 days. Cancellations/refunds will be offered if you are sick or have symptoms which prevent you from attending.
- No drop-ins will be available at this time, all access to the arena must be pre-registered online or by phone at 250-595-7946.
- No skate and equipment rentals or gear lend out available!
- Please practice physical distancing, remain 2 meters apart at all times.
- Masks are mandatory for all (staff and patrons) in all common spaces including hallways, lobbies, change rooms, washrooms and when traveling between programs, activities, etc. Masks are still optional when engaged in a physical activity such as skating on the ice.
- Please enter the arena by the exterior arena doors only, check in with staff, and follow the foot traffic directional signage posted. See Arena Foot traffic directs at the end of the guidelines.
- Please do not arrive more than 15 minutes prior to your session.
- No Spectators permitted. Only one parent/guardian per skater under 5years of age or with various needs which may require attention during the session.
- Hockey dressing rooms and showers will not be available.
- Skaters and Hockey players arrive in full equipment and remove shoes and put on skates in the lobby, taking all personal limits to the on ice area. Goaltenders are asked to arrive in as much equipment as possible, but are permitted to put additional equipment on in the arena lobby as needed.
- Please do not re-enter the Lobby and do not leave any personal items in the lobby area.
- Skaters must have their own clearly labelled full water bottle.
- Washrooms available with restricted capacity.
- Absolutely no game play, scrimmages or contact drills.
- Absolutely no spitting!
- Skaters will exit the ice via following the directional signage posted to collect their shoes and limited personal items by the off-ice gates.
- Please exit within 15 minutes of the completion of the program.
- Absolutely no alcohol during or after gameplay, and NO congregating in parking lot before or after ice times.
- Wash or sanitize your hands or upon arrival and before you leave the facility. Hand sanitizers will be available in common areas.
- Please review the Arena Foot Traffic directions before you come to the arena.
Rules are subject to change and will be updated as needed. Those disregarding rules may be asked to leave the facility.
Oak Bay Parks, Recreation and Culture follows the direction of the public health authorities. Contact the Arena Coordinator if any issues arise: 250-370-7113.
For updates on COVID-19 visit www.oakbay.ca/covid-19