Novice Hockey League Information
Please note: All programs listed are scheduled between January to June 2021 but are subject to change and/or cancellation with changing Public Health Orders. Oak Bay Parks, Recreation and Culture are working closely with Island Health to ensure programs and services meet the requirements of the Public Health Orders. Please call Reception at 250-595-7946.
** Due to the effects of Covid-19 no helmet, skate rentals or hockey gear lend outs are available for the 2020-21 NHL season. The NHL program will be adjusting to align with Covid-19 provincial health guidelines as they evolve. Social distancing will be respected and game play and scrimmages may not be a part of some or all of this program due to this. Players must be able to skate the length of the ice and back with some speed and stop comfortably.
Please see Arena COVID-19 Guidelines for Use at the bottom of this page for more information. ** February 1, 2021
Recreation Oak Bay’s nationally recognized Novice Hockey League is a hockey program for boys and girls that centers on sportsmanship, skill development, and having fun.
The focus is on skill development while down-playing the competitive aspect of the game. Skills covered are: skating, stick-handling, passing, shooting, off-ice/defensive position, and team play.
Full gear is required including CSA approved helmet and facemask.
Future NHL stars ages 3-5yrs can sign up for the NHL Pond Puppies Preschool Hockey. Pond Puppies will learn the basic elements of hockey in a fun and encouraging environment. Full gear is required including CSA approved helmet and facemask. Players should be able to skate the length of the ice. See the current Active Living Guide for more information.
Hockey Equipment [PDF - 1 MB] needed to play in the Novice Hockey League at Recreation Oak Bay.
Recreation Oak Bay is pleased to announce hockey equipment is now available to use FREE of charge. Participants must be currently registered in the Novice Hockey League program or any Oak Bay Hockey program to be eligible for use of the free equipment lend out. Please call the Sports Department at 250-370-7113 or 250-370-7114 for more information.
This program is on a first come first serve basis.
For 30 years Recreation Oak Bay's Novice Hockey League (NHL) has been Oak Bay's flagship program, and a first of it's kind for hockey development. Adopted at the national level, creator Bob Nicholson originally Oak Bay staff who went on to become the President and Chief Executive Officer of Hockey Canada, had a dream. He created a hockey environment, emphasizing teamwork, skill, and above all fun. Recreation Oak Bay's NHL still runs strong to this day! Does your son or daughter want to learn how to play hockey? The NHL program runs annually from September to March. Registration opens for each September to March season every August 1st.
Current Team Schedules
Arena COVID-19 Guidelines for Use
- If you are sick or have any symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend.
- If you have symptoms, please call 8-1-1 or use the BCCDC self-assessment tool. Please stay home if you have travelled in the past 14 days. Cancellations/refunds will be offered if you are sick or have symptoms which prevent you from attending.
- No drop-ins will be available at this time, all access to the arena must be pre-registered online or by phone at 250-595-7946.
- No skate and equipment rentals or gear lend out available!
- Please practice physical distancing, remain 2 meters apart at all times.
- Masks are mandatory for all (staff and patrons) in all common spaces including hallways, lobbies, change rooms, washrooms and when traveling between programs, activities, etc. Masks are still optional when engaged in a physical activity such as skating on the ice.
- Please enter the arena by the exterior arena doors only, check in with staff, and follow the foot traffic directional signage posted. See Arena Foot traffic directs at the end of the guidelines.
- Please do not arrive more than 15 minutes prior to your session.
- No Spectators permitted. Only one parent/guardian per skater under 5years of age or with various needs which may require attention during the session.
- Hockey dressing rooms and showers will not be available.
- Skaters and Hockey players arrive in full equipment and remove shoes and put on skates in the lobby, taking all personal limits to the on ice area. Goaltenders are asked to arrive in as much equipment as possible, but are permitted to put additional equipment on in the arena lobby as needed.
- Please do not re-enter the Lobby and do not leave any personal items in the lobby area.
- Skaters must have their own clearly labelled full water bottle.
- Washrooms available with restricted capacity.
- Absolutely no game play, scrimmages or contact drills.
- Absolutely no spitting!
- Skaters will exit the ice via following the directional signage posted to collect their shoes and limited personal items by the off-ice gates.
- Please exit within 15 minutes of the completion of the program.
- Absolutely no alcohol during or after gameplay, and NO congregating in parking lot before or after ice times.
- Wash or sanitize your hands or upon arrival and before you leave the facility. Hand sanitizers will be available in common areas.
- Please review the Arena Foot Traffic directions before you come to the arena.
Rules are subject to change and will be updated as needed. Those disregarding rules may be asked to leave the facility.
Oak Bay Parks, Recreation and Culture follows the direction of the public health authorities. Contact the Arena Coordinator if any issues arise: 250-370-7113.
For updates on COVID-19 visit www.oakbay.ca/covid-19