Facility Re-Opening Announcement
Oak Bay Parks, Recreation and Culture Notice - Facility Re-opening Plan
The District of Oak Bay is pleased to announce the re-opening of some facilities, programs and services as follows:
Online and Phone Registration for Summer Camps, Preschool and Children's Programs and Reservations for Fitness Studio Sessions, Golf, Outdoor Pickleball and Outdoor Tennis.
Paddington Station Day Care welcomes children back to care at the Neighbourhood Learning Centre.
Online and Phone Registration for Adult Programs at Monterey Recreation Centre, Registered Fitness Programs and Racquet Sport Programs.
- The Weight Room/Fitness Studio at the Oak Bay Recreation Centre will re-open to pre-registered access only.
- Online and Phone Registration (one week in advance on Mondays) for Indoor Cycling and Indoor Bootcamp. Registration will also open for Arena programs.
- Day camps for children and youth begin at the Neighbourhood Learning Centre, Oak Bay Recreation Centre, Windsor Pavilion and Henderson Recreation Centre.
- Limited indoor fitness programs will begin at the Oak Bay Recreation Centre, Windsor Pavilion, Monterey Recreation Centre and Henderson Recreation Centre.
- Personal fitness training and small group circuit training will start at the Henderson Recreation Centre.
- Adult wellness, fitness and art programs will begin at the Monterey Recreation Centre.
- Takeout food services will start at the Monterey Recreation Centre.
- The Arena at the Oak Bay Recreation Centre will open to limited lessons, private lessons, pre-registered open skates, sport skill development programs and rentals.
Service Changes due to COVID-19
Thank you for your patience as we reshape our services to provide a safe environment for your return to some of your favorite recreation activities. Things will look and feel different. Oak Bay Parks, Recreation and Culture have followed the recommendations and guidelines from the Province, Island Health, and other authorities to develop the following protocols:
- Access to programs and facilities must be pre-registered in order to ensure we are able to control the number of people in any given space. There will be no “drop-ins” available at this time.
- Patrons will be screened for health concerns or symptoms of COVID-19 prior to entering any facility or program. If you have any symptoms, have been exposed to someone with symptoms or have travelled in the last 14 days, please stay home.
- Physical distancing measures will be implemented which include reducing the number of people able to register for a program or be in a space at any one time. Floor markings will be used to delineate individual space allocations in programs.
- Program content has been redeveloped to minimize contact between patrons and to reduce the use of shared equipment and supplies.
- Time has been allocated in the overall schedule of programs and activities to facilitate enhanced cleaning and sanitization of equipment and high touch surfaces.
- Staff will be trained to monitor and support physical distancing, hand and respiratory hygiene, sanitization, cleaning and all safety protocols.
- Movement in and out of facilities and spaces will be coordinated between programs and will also be delineated by signage and floor markings to ensure physical distancing can be maintained.
- Hand sanitization stations will be provided in common areas.
We appreciate that these represent major changes to the way you’ve experienced your recreation participation in the past but with patience and kindness we are confident you can reintroduce your favorite activities into your life again.
For further detailed information regarding our patron and employee COVID-19 safety protocols please refer to the attached summary report – “Oak Bay Parks, Recreation and Culture COVID-19 Reopening Safety Plan Summary Report”
At this time the pool facilities at the Oak Bay Recreation Centre will remain closed until further notice. Guidelines from health and industry authorities are still in development. Of priority in the pool environment is the assurance that our employees have the necessary training and personal protective equipment to safely address major emergency incidents. We appreciate the enthusiastic interest in re-opening the pool and we are working to do so in a safe manner.
Program and Facility Specific Information
For specific questions regarding registration information and/or your personal accounts please call Reception at 250-595-7946.
Fitness Studio and Fitness Programs - Click here
Golf - Click here
Racquet Sports - Click here
Children’s Programs - Click here
Progam Guides - Click here
Oak Bay Parks, Recreation and Culture have followed the guidelines and recommendations of the Province, Island Health and other industry specific authorities in order to develop safety plans for patrons and employees. The following is a sample of supporting and reference documents used in the development of our reopening plans:
BC Recreation and Parks Association’s “Guideline for Restarting Operations.” (https://www.bcrpa.bc.ca/covidguideline)
ViaSport BC, “Return to Sport” https://www.viasport.ca/return-sport
Island Health, “COVID-19 Guidance for Gyms and Fitness Centres In Island Health’s Region, updated May 28” (https://www.islandhealth.ca/sites/default/files/covid-19/documents/covid-gym-fitness-guidance.pdf)
BCCDC Guide for Recreation Facilities http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/community-settings/recreation-facilities