Poisonous Mushroom Warning

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Key Features:

  • Cap with green, yellow or brown hues
  • Loose, sac-like cup (volva) at base of stem, often below ground
  • On ground near hardwood/broadleaf trees
  • White gills
  • White spore print
  • Skirt-like ring on stem

Poisoning:

Effects include, nausea, vomiting, low blood pressure and dizziness, liver failure, kidney failure. Nausea and vomiting can be delayed for 8 to 12 hours after eating the mushroom. After up to 24 hours have passed, symptoms may appear to improve but liver and kidney damage may be occurring and can be fatal if not treated. Early treatment is important: Seek medical help immediately. To aid diagnosis and treatment, and improve the outcome, bring specimens of the mushroom with you to the hospital, with information on the specific location where the mushrooms were found.

Contact:

Drug and Poison Information Centre: ­www.dpic.org • 1-800-567-8911 • 24 hours •​ Translation services available

 

Fall Guide

Registration starts August 24.

View Guide