Call For Artists Application
2023 Call for Artists
Public Art in Oak Bay is Alive and Well and Happening!
Arts Alive Public Art Program
Arts Alive is Oak Bay Parks, Recreation & Culture’s annual temporary public art program. This exhibition of sculpture is displayed for 10 months at outdoor sites in our municipality. Now in its eighth year, this Oak Bay Public Arts Program is an expression of our municipality’s commitment to a flourishing arts environment for the economic, social and personal benefit of our entire community. It is also an important attraction for visitors and tourists.
The municipality has installed outdoor sculptures in a variety of locations around Oak Bay. The permanent collection of Arts Alive sculptures frames views, animates parks, streetscapes and viewpoints. The sculptures have been greatly appreciated for their artistic merit and have encouraged viewers to pause and reflect about living in and visiting this special seaside community. They include realistic and abstract pieces, both kinetic and static. They are made of a variety of materials including metal, stone, mixed media and mosaic and express each sculptor’s personal style and interpretation of the yearly theme.
The annual exhibition of sculpture is chosen by a jury from works submitted by artists from the region. Selected sculptures are on temporary loan by each sculptor, sponsored by local business and community groups.
To learn more please visit Arts Alive.
About Oak Bay
The municipality of Oak Bay is part of Greater Victoria and is located on the southeastern tip of Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada. It lies in the traditional territory of the lək̓ʷəŋən people, known today as the Songhees and Esquimalt Nations.
Surrounded by beaches and parkland, its scenery includes splendid views across the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the Salish Sea. This geologically fascinating area is also home to the unique and rare Garry Oak meadow ecosystem.
Our 18,000 residents have a deep attachment to our natural and built environment. This municipality is legendary for its fine domestic architecture, its picturesque, luxuriant gardens, its parks. Its compact and charming village heart is the home of several art galleries enjoyed by local artists and art enthusiasts.
Theme for 2023
What is home?
A physical space or place? A nation or region? A connection to land or landscape? A sanctuary? A memory? Recollections of layers of history told through stories or legends? Cultural roots that extend for many generations? A safe space that satisfies the longing for connection? A palatial, modest, temporary or mobile residence? A place that is rented, borrowed or owned? A safe space that satisfies the longing for belonging? A place to thrive, to forgive, to love, to celebrate, to play, to share and to dream of the future? A place that is no longer there? A place that is hidden or make-shift?
How can an idea of home be communicated through the medium of sculpture?
Invitation to Artists
This is an excellent opportunity for both mid-career and emerging artists to showcase their work.
Artists are invited to reflect on and interpret the yearly theme.
Artist’s work will have exposure to thousands of residents and visitors in this high-profile program. The municipality, local media and Oak Bay Tourism will promote this show throughout the year. Related arts events like art walks, paint-ins, concerts, and celebrations will be organized, generating excitement and building community.
- Artists based in Western Canada are invited to apply for our 2023-2024 outdoor public art program (due to shipping/importing logistics of artwork, we cannot accept sculptures shipped from outside of the region at this time).
- Work will be displayed for approximately 1 year.
- Proposals will be reviewed by an expert volunteer jury.
- Depending on community sponsorships, up to 8 works may be selected.
- Selected works will be installed in highly visible outdoor locations open to the public.
- This year only sculptural works will be selected for inclusion in the program.
Successful submissions will be provided with an honorarium of $1,600 inclusive of travel and delivery/retrieval.
All artwork is available for public purchase.
- A commission of 10% of the sale of any sculpture while on exhibition will go to the Arts Alive program to be used for the development of the program.
Permanent Municipal Public Art Collection Consideration
- The purchase of artwork is at the discretion of the District of Oak Bay Council and is not guaranteed as part of this public exhibition.
The public will be invited to vote on a People's Choice Award.
- This piece will be among those considered for purchase by the Municipality for inclusion in Oak Bay's permanent public art collection, up to a fair market value of $18,000, taxes included, pending annual budget approvals.
- Artwork valued over $18,000 will be considered for exhibition and public sale only.
- Submissions will be reviewed by the Arts Alive jury directly following the application due date.
- Shortlisted entries will be reviewed by Municipal staff to ensure technical feasibility and public safety
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered by the jury.
- Originality and artistic merit.
- Alignment with the theme.
- Content appropriate for community members of all ages.
- Overall feasibility, appropriate size, practicality, durability in an outdoor setting.
- Appropriate for outdoor seaside environment, structural integrity, public safety and level of maintenance required.
- Quality of previous work (mid-career artists) / quality of the application information, photographs/sketches (emerging artists)
Arts Alive 2023-2024 Key Dates
January 23, 2023 ~ Application deadline – (midnight PDT)
February 24, 2023 ~ Successful applicants will be notified.
May 12, 2023 ~ New artwork delivered to Oak Bay Public Works Yard.
June 9, 2023 ~ Installation of 2023 Arts Alive artwork complete.
July 6, 2023 ~ Arts Alive opening celebration and tour
April/May 2024 ~ De-Installation of 2023-2024 Arts Alive artwork complete.
How to Apply
We invite your submission by completing the attached application form with all supporting documentation outlined on the document checklist, by January 23, 2023.
Applications can be made online using the form below or emailed to email@example.com
(If emailing, place the artwork title in the subject line and attach application and supporting documents.)
Please direct accessibility and accommodation requests or general questions prior to January 19 to:
Andrea Pass, Acting Arts and Culture Programmer firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-370-7908.
Many Thanks to our 2022 Sponsors