Call For Artists Application
2020 Call for Artists
Public Art in Oak Bay is Alive and Well and Happening!
About Oak Bay
The municipality of Oak Bay, part of Greater Victoria, is located on the south eastern tip of Vancouver Island. Surrounded by beaches and parkland, its scenery includes splendid views across the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Salish Sea. Oak Bay is legendary for its fine domestic architecture, its picturesque gardens and for its "old world" atmosphere. This geologically fascinating area is also home to the unique and rare Garry Oak Meadow ecosystem. Our 18,000 residents have a deep attachment to our natural and built environment. We have a majority of the region's art galleries and many resident artists and arts enthusiasts. Now in its sixth year of development, the Oak Bay Public Art program, ArtsAlive Oak Bay, with its Arts Laureate position, is an expression of our municipality's support for a flourishing arts environment for the economic, social and personal benefit of our entire community.
About ArtsAlive Oak Bay
For the past five years, in a variety of locations around Oak Bay, the Public Art Advisory Committee has installed outdoor artworks — from stylized realistic pieces to the purely abstract, in various media including several moving wind works. They have been greatly appreciated for their artistic merit and challenged us to pause and reflect about living in this special seaside community, proud of its distinct heritage even as it contemplates its future as a vibrant place to live and work.
Theme for 2020
Some days, it seems easier to dwell upon what separates us than on what we have in common. When we are together, something new emerges. It could be a sense of community and empathy, shared purpose, strength, synchronicity or even interesting entanglements. "Together" is about unity, it's about interconnection, and the beauty of diversity. Each piece retains its integrity yet when brought together, constitutes something new, a different reality, a unique colorful collaboration. Get yourself "Together" and submit your proposal to Oak Bay's ArtsAlive 2020 public art program.
Invitation to Artists
This is an excellent opportunity for artists to showcase their work, imagination and talent. Thousands of local residents and visitors will be exposed to the work in this high profile program. The municipality, local media and Tourism Oak Bay will promote this show throughout the year. Related art events like art walks, paint-ins, and celebrations will be organized, guaranteeing more excitement and community participation.
- Artists are invited to submit proposals for our 2020/21 outdoor public art program.
- Work will be displayed for approximately 1 year.
- Proposals will be juried.
- Pending community sponsorships, up to 13 pieces will be selected and installed in secure, highly visible outdoor locations.
- The public will be invited to vote on a People's Choice Award. This piece will be considered for purchase by the Municipality up to a fair market value of $18,000, taxes included.
- Artwork valued over $18,000 will be considered for exhibition and sale only. A commission of 10% of the sale of any sculpture will go to ArtsAlive to be used for the development of the program.
- In the past most works selected for inclusion in this program have been sculpture. This program is open to all sustainable outdoor forms of art, including sculpture.
Successful submissions will be provided with an honorarium of $1,000 and a travel/delivery budget at the start and end of the program of up to $500. Any expenses above $500 is the responsibility of the artist.
Works selected by the committee (in the ‘People’s Choice’ Category) will also be eligible to be voted upon by the public. The final piece selected will be considered for purchase up to fair market value of $18,000 (taxes included), and inclusion in Oak Bay's permanent public art collection pending municipal budget approvals.
ArtsAlive 2020/21 Key Dates
- Applications now closed
- Monday, December 23, 2019 ~ Successful applicants will be notified by this date.
- Monday, April 6, 2020 ~ New artwork delivered to Oak Bay Public Works Yard.
- Monday, May 4, 2020 ~ Installation of 2020 ArtsAlive artwork complete.
- June 2020, date TBA ~ ArtsAlive opening celebration and bus tour.
Pieces will be reviewed by the ArtsAlive selection committee. Shortlisted entries will be reviewed by Municipal staff to ensure technical feasibility and public safety.
- Overall feasibility, appropriate size, practicality, durability in an outdoor setting.
- Safety and level of maintenance.
- Originality and artistic merit.
- Appropriate to theme, environment and community.
- Quality of previous work.
How to Apply
Applications are now closed.
Any questions can be directed to: Glenna Garramone, Arts and Culture Programmer firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-370-7908.
If you are encountering any difficulties with our online application, please feel free to email your application and images/documentation to email@example.com, with your artwork name in the subject line.
Many thanks to our 2019 Sponsors: