Update: Closure of the Oak Bay Branch, Greater Victoria Public Library
Oak Bay, BC – Following the identification of asbestos at Oak Bay Branch, the District undertook significant testing to ensure that there had been no asbestos exposure to the public or staff. The District is pleased to share that rigorous testing determined that no exposure had occurred in the public or staff areas. The asbestos material had been encapsulated. The District tested six times the amount of air required for the Air Tests.
Safety is the District’s top priority. The abatement process is underway to eliminate any possible future disturbances or exposure to asbestos. The Oak Bay Branch will remain closed for up to twelve weeks. The District is working with GVPL to explore options to deliver library services at an alternative location in Oak Bay. Further details will be announced once an alternative location is confirmed. GVPL is committed to minimizing the disruption of this temporary closure for patrons.
Greater Victoria Public Library provides the following service information for Oak Bay residents:
- A temporary drop-box outside the Monterey Recreation Centre is available to return library items.
- All current and new library items on hold, with “Oak Bay Branch” as the pick-up location, are temporarily suspended in the catalogue while we prepare an alternative service point for pick-up in Oak Bay.
- A suspended hold maintains your place in the queue; the item will not be available for pick up in Oak Bay while the hold is temporarily suspended.
- If you would like to select another GVPL location to pick up your hold, your pick- up location can be changed anytime through “My Account” at gvpl.ca.
- Patrons will not incur late fees for library items previously returned at the Oak Bay Branch.
- Have questions? Customer Service Line staff are ready to help. Call 250-940-4875, Monday to Saturday from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.
District of Oak Bay