All dogs over the age of four months must be licensed every year with the District of Oak Bay. A dog license helps protect your pet by providing an easy-to-identify dog tag and registration with Victoria Animal Control Services Ltd (our animal control contractor). If your pet is lost anywhere in the world, the fastest way to be reunited with your dog is by this dog tag and this license. Licenses are valid from January 1 to December 31.
Bylaw Notice Violations (tickets) will be issued if your dog is found unlicensed. A minimum penalty for an unlicensed dog is $50.
The District will send a License Renewal in December when your dog tag needs to be renewed. Please remember to notify us if you change your contact info, move away or no longer have a dog.
Payment options include:
- Online - Credit card payments are only accepted online. You will require your Account Number & Access Code located at the top of your renewal notice. The dog tag will be mailed out once we have received the online payment.
- In-Person - Payment methods accepted at the Municipal Hall include cash, cheque and Interac.
- Payment by Cheque – Please include your renewal remittance stub and make cheque payable to the District of Oak Bay. A 24-hour drop box is available at the Oak Bay Municipal Hall. This drop box is located at the entrance facing Oak Bay Ave.
- Payment by Mail – Please include your renewal remittance stub along with your cheque and mail to 2167 Oak Bay Ave, Victoria BC, V8R 1G2.
If your dog is new to Oak Bay, please see the Dog License Application section noted below. Completed application forms can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. An account number and access code will be provided to you once the account is created.
Dog Licensing Costs
The cost of licensing your pet depends on whether or not it is spayed or neutered - a reduced license fee is charged for spayed or neutered dogs. A discount on license fees is available until February 1. Dogs who move to Oak Bay after February 1 will pay the discounted license rate.
- Spayed or neutered dogs until February 1: $39.00
- Spayed or neutered dogs after February 1: $44.00
- Non-spayed or non-neutered dogs until February 1: $55.00
- Non-spayed or non-neutered dogs after February 1: $60.00
(You must provide proof of spaying or neutering to receive the discounted license rate.)
- Replacement Tag: $5.00
Exceptions to license fees are granted to Certified Guide and Service Dogs and dogs spayed/neutered in the preceding 12 months.
Dog License Application
The new license application and proof of spaying or neutering can also be dropped off, mailed, or faxed to:
Oak Bay Municipal Hall
2167 Oak Bay Avenue
Victoria BC, V8R 1G2
The dog control regulations are enforced by:
Victoria Animal Control Services Ltd.
564 David Street
Victoria BC, V8T 2C8
Dog licenses and further information may be obtained at the Oak Bay Municipal Hall. More information on dogs such as maps and bylaws.