Mail Ballot Voting Information
2018 General Local Election
Saturday, October 20, 2018
- Who Can Vote by Mail?
On Saturday, October 20, 2018 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., the District of Oak Bay will hold a General Local Election for the offices of Mayor (one (1) to be elected) and Municipal Councillor (six (6) to be elected).
Electors may vote by mail if they:
- Have a physical disability, illness, or injury that affects their ability to vote at another voting opportunity; or
- Expect to be absent from the District of Oak Bay on general voting day and at the times of all advance voting opportunities (October 10th and October 17th, 2018).
- Who is Eligible to Vote?
You are allowed to vote by mail if you meet the above requirements, and if you otherwise meet either the resident elector (i.e. you live in the District of Oak Bay) or the non-resident property elector (i.e. you live elsewhere in BC but you own property in the District of Oak Bay) eligibility requirements.
- Requesting a Mail Ballot Package
Mail Ballot Application Form PDF
Between 8:30 a.m. on September 26, 2018 and 4:00 p.m. on October 18, 2018, you must submit a Mail Ballot Application Form to the Chief Election Officer (by mail, fax (250-598-9108), email, delivery, or by hand). The Chief Election Officer will send out mail ballot packages between 8:30 a.m. on October 10, 2018 and 4:00 p.m. on October 18, 2018. To be counted for the election, your mail ballot must be mailed or delivered so that it is received by the Chief Election Officer no later than 8:00 p.m. on October 20, 2018. It is the obligation of the person applying to vote by mail ballot to ensure that the mail ballot is received by the Chief Election Officer within this time limit.
Method of delivery of your mail ballot package:
- Pick up at the Oak Bay Municipal Hall (include telephone contact number, and if applicable, name of person authorized to pick package up on your behalf); or
- Letter mail through Canada Post to residential address; or
- Letter mail through Canada Post to an alternate address that you provide when requesting the ballot package – be sure to include full alternate address.